New to the forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
Honey said:
Truth!!! I owned a Russian Horsefield years ago before my husband passed away... I had wanted a turtle or a tortoise for so long! I finally got to bring one home, and I did my best, and the little Russian seemed happy. We had a pretty bad winter storm that knocked out our electricity for 3 days, and I was unable to keep him warm - or find a friend who would tend to him until power came back. He survived the power outage, but that led to a RI that I couldn't help him through. There were no vets here willing to take him on. :( I was so upset and heartbroken about the entire situation - I didn't know if I would ever try owning one again of any kind.

I got Sheldon in an odd way. I was on Craigslist hunting for a 40 gallon breeder for one of our bearded dragons who was just about ready to move into a larger enclosure. 40 gallon breeders are about $200 at the cheapest in our area - and the only post on Craigslist that pooped up was Sheldon! The bad owners wanted $100 for him, the tank, and his hide. We drove about 15 miles from Springfield to get him. They had told me it was between me and one other person. I asked them if the other person was well-researched with Sulcatas - and also if they had the ability to care for a 200 pound tortoise long term. The said the other person wanted to get Sheldon for their 4 year old son - for his room. I begged them to let me come and get him - and I offered them more $$. They chose us! lol

Of course, now - I have back up plans for bad weather, and vets nearby who will see Sheldon if there is an obvious reason for a visit. I get teased a lot about taking better care of my family - human and nonhuman than I do myself. 'Tis how it is. :D

I really wish that there was some form of application to weed out the impulse-buyers that breeders could enforce. But hey, at least there are people out there like the majority of this forum's members who do their part to make it a better world for our shelled friends. <3

It is a shame that people mistreat animals . I think that you should have to take a class before you can buy/adopt an animal ! Even today at the animal expo, someone was selling sulcatas and their shells were totally pyramided !! I was like SERIOUSLY I don't have a tortoise or even know too much ( I'm more a turtle person) but I know that the tortoises diet is wrong ! How can you call yourself a breeder if you don't even care for the animals . It's disgusting !!

Status
Not open for further replies.