New to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hi all,
I am new to this forum, but not new to keeping torts.
I currently own 2 Russian tortoises (a fully-grown female, Timmy, and a younger male, Roz). I got them each as 2nd-hand torts from people who didn't want them anymore. Roz has a little bit of (old) pyramiding, but the growth pattern has evened out since I got him.
I am also fostering a very old male RT (Mo). Mo has cataracts, and a completely black shell - his face looks ancient. He is sweet, and eats out of my hand. I just treated him for a bad worm infestation, his activity levels are increasing.
I have successfully rescued and rehabilitated 2 sick/hurt RTs. One of them (Norbert) was a small malnourished, emaciated male who had lived in a barn without heat or light, and hadn't been fed for 6 months. He had been badly bitten by rats, and had dog-bite scars on his shell. He lost most of one foot to infection, but I was able to prevent it from spreading. I cared for him for about half a year, carefully helping him gain weight. He is now happily and healthily living with one of my friends. Joe the RT was pretty easy to help. I treated him for worms, threw away the cedar shavings he came with, soaked him a lot, and treated his eye infection. He is also happily and healthily living with his new owner.

Today I am picking up a little mystery tortoise that I found on Craigslist. He was listed as a "tahitian tortoise" - which there is no such thing. I suspect he is some kind of Hermann's variety. The previous owner bought him as a yearling from a breeder. They say that they feed leafy greens and the occasional mealworm. I'm going to feed 100% herbivorous diet, I grow my own leafy greens in my garden. I was appalled to see that they drilled a hole in his shell, and attached a ring. The previous owner says that in the summer, they tether the tort to a post in their yard by a chain.

We live in SW Washington State, so my torts spend a lot of the year indoors. I let my torts roam our (organically and safely planted) side yard under my supervision during the warm months. I have 2 large tortoise tables - one is my rehab table, 1 is for my RTs Timmy and Roz. The little mystery tortoise comes with a small glass tank... I will build him a tort table that is about 4'x2'. All the torts have good 10.0 UVB tube lighting, basking lamps, and ceramic heat lamps. Their basking spots are 95-100 degrees, the coolest area is room temp (68-72 degrees). I bed the torts in a 1:1 mix of coconut coir (from a brick that you add water to) and playsand. I exclusively feed dark leafy greens that I grow myself, and I add TNT and have a cuttlebone in each enclosure.

Not sure what else folks want to know. We have a long-term foster Veiled Chameleon, too.

Attachments

• CIMG9633 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    CIMG9633 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 20

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, biochemnerd808!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to tfo. Russians are great torts, I'm crazy for mine!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Welcome......I sure would love to see a pic. of this mystery tort of yours :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Ok, attached are 2 pics of the mystery tort - taken by the old owner. She called him a "tahitian" tortoise, I suspect it's some kind of Hermann's tort. Any other ideas?

Just for the record, I did NOT attach that horrible ring to his shell. We just picked him up this afternoon, and I am going to borrow a good tool to carefully cut that ring on Monday.

Mystery tort side.JPG
Mystery tort top.JPG

Irwin4530 said:
Welcome......I sure would love to see a pic. of this mystery tort of yours :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello and welcome to the forum. I have heard of people tethering tortoises in their back yard. Ughhhh. Seems so barbaric.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Wow! Sure am glad you got him/her
And that you will be removing that horrid ring!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.