New to the Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg617

5 Year Member
Hi, new here, I have 1 redfoot tortoise, about 6 1/2 inches long. I bought it from a pet store that didnt know how to care for it, they told me he is supposed to eat nothing but meal worms with fruit for a treat, and his shell is a little lumpy (pet store is no longer in business... surprise...). Ive had it for about a year, and it is the coolest little friend ever. I'm interested in getting a couple more torts so mine has some company.

I'm glad to find this forum and look forward to learning more about these guys

Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Sounds like he really needs some greens in his diet. :) How are things like his humidity and temps? Does he get outside time? UVB light? Glad your here to learn about all these things and more! :D It might be a good thing to mention, he most likely does not need company of other tortoises. If you want more tortoises and have the room, time, money to care for them, then by all means get them just do not get them for the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) as Jacqui said, don't get them for the tortoise. They are very happy alone. Also, species should never be mixed. If you decide to get more RF be sure you have the room to quarantine them before putting them together and also be prepared to house the separate incase they bully each other.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome,fellow red foot keeper!

kg617

5 Year Member
He gets a steady supply of all kinds of greens now, and I have edible plants planted in his enclosure as well. Shortly after I got him I read some care sheets and found out what they really need for food. I didnt know that they didnt care for company, I guess I'm learning already. If I did get more they would be for me, company for my existing tortoise is just how I was trying to justify getting more ;)

My tortoise lives inside, on a two level enclosure (each level is 4ftx4ft and there is an intermediate level so his ramps wouldnt be too steep) One level is planted with some edible plants in dirt/coco and the other level is cypress mulch. He has a big (but shallow) water tray, two heat lamps, 4 floro uvb lights (and a couple plant lights what ever spectrum those are) and numerous hides built in. I mist him and parts of his enclosure, but I'm thinking about buying one of those fogger/rain systems. Anyone have any experience with those? I live in western washington so he gets to go outside when weather permits.

I'm curious about waxing his shell. We have some stuff we bought at a pet store called Turtle VitaShell, should I use it or just clean his shell once in a while with a soft brush? Any tips on shell maintenece? I'm sure after I search around a bit I will find the answers to my own questions.

Thanks again everyone

kg617

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) as Jacqui said, don't get them for the tortoise. They are very happy alone. Also, species should never be mixed. If you decide to get more RF be sure you have the room to quarantine them before putting them together and also be prepared to house the separate incase they bully each other.

Is it common for redfoots to bully each other? I would really like to have several, all housed together.

What about yellow foots and RF living together? Ive read they can, is it a bad Idea?

Ive got the room to build a pretty large enclosure or two, if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.