New to the group?

robc13

Location (City and/or State)
florida
Hello everyone. New to the group. Just picked this tortoise up from a garage sale about a week ago. The people said it was a red foot. Would that be correct? Also I’ve been reading up on them. I don’t know if it’s healthy or not. I’ve heard some wheezing coming form it a couple of times. Could it be a respiratory infection? If so, what are ways to help it out? I will attach a pic of the tortoise. ?

also just built it an enclosure yesterday. Would love ideas on what to add. If any substrate would be good, or leave it like it is. Live in Florida.

1875722B-BB4E-4A41-86F7-618DDD654716.jpeg8E68E7B8-774A-4E6A-A1E6-F0FF3B1E78EA.jpeg59128ADB-1BD4-428A-B62E-54A95344DAFB.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

robc13

florida
Greetings....

Here’s one of TFO’s care sheets for you to read up on. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-caresheet.172531/

And this one too - https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/

Looks like your tort can use some more humidity, some soakings. Right claw looks a bit rough. How are the other claws?

@ZEROPILOT keeps REDFOOT torts in Florida. He can help.

good luck

Thank you! Just read through it. Very informative. is there another link to diet as well? Any good plants I can have in the enclosure?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thank you! Just read through it. Very informative. is there another link to diet as well? Any good plants I can have in the enclosure?
I put Boston fern, pothos, creeping Jenny and spider plants in my redfoots enclosure. Keep in mind they may eat it too lol. Mine does.
Make sure you have a large tarra cotta saucer in there for water and id soak daily to get him all hydrated ?
Lots of cover is what they like.

I keep mine inside most of the time in a closed chamber, but ZEROPILOT keeps his outdoors so he can help you tweak it accordingly ?

That baby was definitely brought up dry, so warm water soaks and high humidity will help.

Super cute though btw ?

Chi chi says hi to her new redfoot buddy
20200908_161412.jpg

robc13

florida
I put Boston fern, pothos, creeping Jenny and spider plants in my redfoots enclosure. Keep in mind they may eat it too lol. Mine does.
Make sure you have a large tarra cotta saucer in there for water and id soak daily to get him all hydrated ?
Lots of cover is what they like.

I keep mine inside most of the time in a closed chamber, but ZEROPILOT keeps his outdoors so he can help you tweak it accordingly ?

That baby was definitely brought up dry, so warm water soaks and high humidity will help.

Super cute though btw ?

Chi chi says hi to her new redfoot buddy
View attachment 311968

Thank you!! Chi chi is super cute!! Going to lowes today to get the tarra cotta saucer for sure. As for the pic I posted, the shell looks raised compared to chi chi. Is that from dehydration as well or possibly poor diet?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thank you!! Chi chi is super cute!! Going to lowes today to get the tarra cotta saucer for sure. As for the pic I posted, the shell looks raised compared to chi chi. Is that from dehydration as well or possibly poor diet?
That is from a lack of humidity in her environment. Its called pyramiding. You might see a few things here and there saying diet and all that goes with it, but people who have been doing this for 30+ years and broken it down to all humidity ?
You won't be able to fix it, but you can definitely make sure she's given everything from here on out. You came to the perfect place! We love our shell babies here!

Thankfully your redfoot has a whole variety of things it can eat so you lucked out there ?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi and welcome. Glad you found this tortoise and can give it a new home. Read the care sheets and adjust the environment as required. The tortoise had had a tough life and it shell has pyramids because of the wrong past conditions. This will impact its spine which runs underneath but it can not be reversed so what your aiming for is new scute growth to be hydrated and smooth and you will get that from soaking, heat, light and diet.

robc13

florida
Hi and welcome. Glad you found this tortoise and can give it a new home. Read the care sheets and adjust the environment as required. The tortoise had had a tough life and it shell has pyramids because of the wrong past conditions. This will impact its spine which runs underneath but it can not be reversed so what your aiming for is new scute growth to be hydrated and smooth and you will get that from soaking, heat, light and diet.

Thank you! That’s unfortunate about it’s shell ☹️ Hopefully it’s healthy enough to live longer. I think our enclosure came out great. Now just need to set up the inside. ?

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Olympia, WA
I just got my first tortoises this year and it can seem freighting at times. How do i do this or that. But you came to the right place!!! LOTS of good information here. Glad you got a shelled buddy!

robc13

florida
I just got my first tortoises this year and it can seem freighting at times. How do i do this or that. But you came to the right place!!! LOTS of good information here. Glad you got a shelled buddy!

Thank you! My main concern is it's diet. I definitely got focus on that. I am keeping it outside, so I figure I don't have to worry about lighting with the natural environment. I live in Florida so doesn't get cold for a long time. In the colder days I'll just bring it inside.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thank you! My main concern is it's diet. I definitely got focus on that. I am keeping it outside, so I figure I don't have to worry about lighting with the natural environment. I live in Florida so doesn't get cold for a long time. In the colder days I'll just bring it inside.
You should look up Kapidolofarms.com
He is amazing and has all kinds of dried additives to expand a tortoises diet ? i add different ones to both my different species of tortoise daily along with good weeds and greens, plus certain fruit and sometimes protein for miss chi chi

tcstewart1980

York
Hi everyone! New tort mom here! we purchased one for my son (and secretly my hubby too lol) I am totally new so open to all kinds of tips. We literally felt like new parents all over buying whatever petsmart told us too...I will admit already I wish we had researched more--just because maybe we should have purchased from a specialized dealer--but you live and learn ;-)!

We are excited about our new Russian tortoise! There is so much we have to learn but we are up to the challenge. He is such a climber so we had to go grab some ramps.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hi everyone! New tort mom here! we purchased one for my son (and secretly my hubby too lol) I am totally new so open to all kinds of tips. We literally felt like new parents all over buying whatever petsmart told us too...I will admit already I wish we had researched more--just because maybe we should have purchased from a specialized dealer--but you live and learn ;-)!

We are excited about our new Russian tortoise! There is so much we have to learn but we are up to the challenge. He is such a climber so we had to go grab some ramps.
Welcome, start a new thread of your own. That way you will get more eyes on it. Somehow you posted on robc13's thread.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello everyone. New to the group. Just picked this tortoise up from a garage sale about a week ago. The people said it was a red foot. Would that be correct? Also I’ve been reading up on them. I don’t know if it’s healthy or not. I’ve heard some wheezing coming form it a couple of times. Could it be a respiratory infection? If so, what are ways to help it out? I will attach a pic of the tortoise. ?

also just built it an enclosure yesterday. Would love ideas on what to add. If any substrate would be good, or leave it like it is. Live in Florida.

View attachment 311964View attachment 311965View attachment 311967
Welcome and thank you for rescuing your new friend. The previous owner didn't have conditions correct. I am sure he has found a better home.