New to the page

terry tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Waterford pa
Hi I'm a first time tortoise owner. New to the thread I have a Russian his name is Terry. We're happy to be here hope to learn more and be able to care for my buddy thanksIMG_20230331_112757306.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and welcome. The puck like gauge should be changed to a digital and placed at tortoise height.

terry tortoise

Waterford pa
Hello and welcome. The puck like gauge should be changed to a digital and placed at tortoise height.
That's awesome input thanks I was actually wondering about that honestly I have one by the basking area also but it's in the same spot. If you don't mind me asking I have a couple more questions. Like I have my basking light just on top of the enclosure should it be inside lower to terry and should his water dish be on the cool side or basking side

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi welcome. I tend to place water dish on hot side and food on the cooler side to stop it drying out quickly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I'm a first time tortoise owner. New to the thread I have a Russian his name is Terry. We're happy to be here hope to learn more and be able to care for my buddy thanksView attachment 355657
Hello and welcome. Start here:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The basking can be inside if needed to get temps where they need to be. However a lot of enclosures are too low ceiling to do that. As long as it sitting on top gets the correct basking temp and it's not sitting over fine screen if it's a uvb bulb then it's fine. Uvb doesn't go thru screen well.
I put my water near the warm side as it helps with humidity when it warms up and feed on cooler side.

terry tortoise

Waterford pa
Thanks I'm glad I found this forum because I was getting a lot of mixed information from Google and the pet store I bought him from. There full of mis information I'm slowing find out so next question if I'm seeing skin pealing on his neck and it pealing but still a little attached should I pull it or will that hurt him. And how do you feel about coco fiber to help humidity wise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And how do you feel about coco fiber to help humidity wise
That won't do anything more than the orchid bark that you are using now.

And if you read on the internet to add some moss in the hide for humidity, that is wrong too. It doesn't do anything that damp substrate doesn't do, and they eat it, which can cause impaction. Don't use moss in a tortoise enclosure.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, just let the skin come off by itself. Can you send pictures of the peeling skin?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Peeling skin is normal. Just let it be, like Ray said.

Welcome!