New to the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi everyone I am new to the site, I have had a redfood for about 9 months and a larger yellowfoot for about 5 months, they live in a huge wooden cage I built for them which takes up 1/2 the kitchen. I will have to post pics soon. I was told they may eat timothy hay, but when I put it in there they woun't touch the stuff. Right now I have them eating repcal mix, bok choy (I get tons of it from work cause we only use the stalks, the iguana loves it too), and different types of melon. What else should I be feeding them to stiffen their stools since they wount eat the timothy hay.

Thanks,
EZB

sarah

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello are they housed togther? they will be ok when small but once adults will have to be split up.

My reds eat grass from the garden when outside. I feed about 60% weeds, 40% fruit and boiled chicken of mosit cat bicuits every few weeks.
They can also eat mushrooms but as a treat.

Have a read of this
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/feeding_redfoots.html

EZB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks,
They are housed together, but there doesn't seem to be a problem, the small one makes sure he gets his fair share of food, and they are always together. Why do you say they will have to be separated?? The people at the exotic pet shop said as long as the little one keeps eating there shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately I live in a desert climate and have nothing in my yard but rocks, so letting theme graze in the yard isn't possible.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
ezb you might be able to find some leftover sod from someones project to use for your torts. if you water it enough and keep it from getting scorched you wouldnt necessarily need a whole lawn

sarah

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Because of cross breeding, its unnatural and just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.