New to the tortoise world

amanda0883

Hi all, my name is Amanda and I just got a Russian Tortoise on Friday. I live in upstate NY and I got him (not been sexed yet) mainly for my 3 year old son who has allergies from anything with fur. We tried a guinea pig and found out he was allergic to her too. I knew I would have to do something that does not have fur and would be good for my son to handle. A friend of mine had got one and I really wanted to do a bearded dragon or gecko (but the cricket thing and food thing seem to be expensive and much required upkeep) and I talked to her a bit about the tortoise situation and she explained to me how easy they are to take care of. I was really excited to get it for my son not knowing I would easily fall in love. My son decided on the name Frankie so it will be ok if it ends up being male or female lol. I am really scared to do something wrong as our guinea pig died suddenly and I am not exactly sure why (she was always fed and watered and cared for). We do have a cat as well named Dexter and he is about 6. He runs away from my son so I wanted to get my son something that he could call his own and am happy to see they live a long time with proper care. Frankie has really become a member of the family and I am trying to do everything right and research my brains out when he does something new cause I get so nervous lol. I am glad to see there is a forum on stuff that people can ask and get answers for. I found a vet and hoping to make an appointment sometime this week.

One thing I do really want to know is how much exercise they need and if it is normal for them to not each much within the first few days of having them. I am also wondering how to tell if they are getting too stressed when you take them out so you know to put them back?

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Amanda.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Amanda welcome to the TFO from AZ . Can you send us a picture of you enclosure and the RT .

amanda0883

Thank you for the welcomes! Here is Frankie and his enclosure...we are using a big guinea pig cage temporarily until we can find something or make something a little more suitable.

Oops apparently it didnt send let me try again

Attachments

• 1393284703020.jpg
    1393284703020.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 1393284726194.jpg
    1393284726194.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 41

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
Hi Amanda,

I also have a son who is allergic to everything with Fur and/or feathers and according to his doctors a tortoise would not do any harm. Oliver loves his tortoises, but there has been an unexpected side effect. I have completely fallen in love with these beautiful creatures as well :) Good luck !

Mr. Nubs

This is why I bought a leopard tortoise. I have a fur allergy as well. It sucks being allergic to anything!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Hey Amanda and welcome to the forum! Me and another forum member were just talking about how we have tortoises due to fur allergies in the family. Still, I love my torts to death and wouldn't change a thing. As for your questions: it's totally normal if they don't eat for a few days. Torts do everything pretty slowly which includes dealing with change. Give him a chance to settle down and de-stress. He'll come around in a week or two if the conditions are right. And as for being stressed, if he pulls into his shell then it's a sure sign he's stressed. Hope this helps and keep asking questions :D

Oh and for exercise: I don't have a Russian but I have read that they really dislike small enclosures. They can walk for miles a day and get restless if they don't have the room.

amanda0883

Thanks for your help! Yeah, I definitely fell in love that's for sure! He has been an awesome addition to our family. :) Good to know I am not over exercising him...I love to let him out and let him roam around and watch what he does. :) My son on the other hand gets so excited and can't leave him alone lol. He is starting to come around though and get more comfortable with us which is good. :)