New to the TortoiseForum!

Tuwamare

Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, OR
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I do not currently have a tortoise, but am learning all about them in the event that one appears in my life when I'm ready. I live in western Oregon, so we have cold wet winters and hot summers. I have a large family (mostly adults now, but we all share a house for the most part). In the family so far we have a dog (getting trained to the utmost), 4 rabbits, a passel of chickens, 3 geese (you wouldn't believe how much fun they are!), a flock of parakeets in the house, and a horse we board elsewhere, as we live in town. We are not strangers to the commitment needed for an animal in our care.
The first turtle I remember having was when I was a tiny thing back in the '60s. We had a tiny aquatic turtle living in our fish tank. I loved that turtle so much. I recently got back on the shelled reptile obsession, so I am learning as much as I can. Lots of things have changed since the '60s! I'm thinking if we do take the plunge, a tortoise would be better suited to us than a turtle, just due to our living situation. I even have an adult child willing to take over if anything ever happened to me. I'm thinking of a Russian tortoise as the probable choice, and definitely not a baby.
In the meantime, I'm drawing tortoises and providing a drawing per year to the closest tortoise rescue to help them raise money for their vet bills. It's a way to be involved without jumping in unprepared. :)
I look forward to getting to know people here, and learning lots.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
There's lots to learn but you are in the best place to find all the up to date information you'll need
If you look through the species section you'll find caresheets for the species you're interested in, and the link below is great for finding out all the do's and don'ts to help you avoid common mistakes

Hopefully you'll be able to have everything set up before your tort arrives and if you check here before buying equipment we can help save you money which many of us have wasted in pet stores who tend to put profit before tort safety and health.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. You are starting out the right way. Just be sure to research on this forum, a lot of the info out there is old and outdated.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Hermann tortoises is a good choice too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum. A Russian is a good choice for a first tortoise.

Tuwamare

Springfield, OR
Welcome to the forum. Hermann tortoises is a good choice too.
Hermanns are harder to find here in OR. Our usual choices are Russians, Red-Footeds, and Sulcatas. I've only seen Russian and Red-footed in the local pet stores, and even they say Oregon is really difficult to work with when it comes to turtles, because they're trying to save our two native species. Tortoises may be a bit different. I will probably adopt from the rescue here in the PNW when it's time, and it will depend on what she has available.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hermanns are harder to find here in OR. Our usual choices are Russians, Red-Footeds, and Sulcatas. I've only seen Russian and Red-footed in the local pet stores, and even they say Oregon is really difficult to work with when it comes to turtles, because they're trying to save our two native species. Tortoises may be a bit different. I will probably adopt from the rescue here in the PNW when it's time, and it will depend on what she has available.
If you feel like traveling, there’s no shortage of them for rescue here in CA

Tuwamare

Springfield, OR
Hi and welcome,
There's lots to learn but you are in the best place to find all the up to date information you'll need
If you look through the species section you'll find caresheets for the species you're interested in, and the link below is great for finding out all the do's and don'ts to help you avoid common mistakes

Hopefully you'll be able to have everything set up before your tort arrives and if you check here before buying equipment we can help save you money which many of us have wasted in pet stores who tend to put profit before tort safety and health.
Thank you! I just finished reading the info guide you linked, and have bookmarked it for frequent access. :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, one of the important things is enclosure size. For example a Russian should have no smaller than a 4' x 8' enclosure.