New to this and i need help

Rupaulthefab

Location (City and/or State)
New Berlin
I just recently got a leopard tortoise from an expo and he was fine and moving around, but hes making noises... like grunts maybe and honestly not sure if its normal. Can someone help lol

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I just recently got a leopard tortoise from an expo and he was fine and moving around, but hes making noises... like grunts maybe and honestly not sure if its normal. Can someone help lol
Can you post a pic of him or maybe a video and also show his enclosure and lamps etc.
What is his diet, substrate and temps?
It could be that he has something stuck in his throat or possible RI.
Is there any thing coming from his nose or mouth?
Apologies for the questions but members need a lot more information to help you.

Last edited:

Rupaulthefab

New Berlin
I can’t get a video of him now. When I get close he stops. But I’ve been feeding him spring mix lettuce, carrots and Timothy hay. Using a 20g long tank with a 75 watt bulb. I lightly mist his cage in the morning

Attachments

• 93684C6B-4260-4686-9F99-9847785AD926.jpeg
    93684C6B-4260-4686-9F99-9847785AD926.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 4

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
OK we could really do with a better pic showing all of his tank to see if there are any changes you need to make to help him thrive. You also didn't say of there was anything coming from his nose or mouth.
I also think you need to change his diet - have a look at this caresheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/ which will tell you all about diet, temps humidity ad substrate etc.
Leafy weeds like dandelions and ribwort and broadleaf plantains from chemical free sources are a better source of food.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants.
Carrots aren't a great regular food for leopards and have been known to kill larger species by getting stuck. He may be too young to tackle the hay.

What type of bulb is that and what are his 4 temps - Warm end/basking, cool end, ambient and overnight.
Do you have overnight heat for him?
I use a ceramic heat emitter run through a thermostat to keep temps even - it just gives out heat as torts need darkness to sleep.
Leopards don't hibernate and need higher temps than some species all year around - especially babies.
A good thing I was told was that
correct temps + humidity = healthy tort
too cold + humidity = sick tort.
A good thing to have is a digital temp gun so that you can spot check temps at tort level and a digital thermometer and hygrometer with probes which will help you keep an eye on things.
Does he have a water bowl in his enclosure? A terracotta plant saucer sunk level with the substrate is ideal for torts.
Again I'm sorry about all the questions but you need to tell us/show us a lot more about your set up.
Forget what you may have been told by the seller at Expo and start again. All the information here is more up to date than pet stores and many breeders give out.
Also read through https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/ a valuable help for all of us!

Last edited: