New to this forum

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Thank you :) I was thinking of a smaller tortoise. I have been doing lots of research, and I was thanking of an elongated tortoise. Where I live the lowest the temperature gets is 49 degrees, but I can house a baby tortoise indoors till he/she is big enough for outdoors.
Baby tortoises are a pain. You need to read up on care and set up the enclosure maintaining proper temps and hidity a few days before you bring them home. I suggest an older juvenile or adult tort for your first tort. Their bodies are more forgiving of first time owners mistakes....

Eddie Ceja

Hawthorne,California
Baby tortoises are a pain. You need to read up on care and set up the enclosure maintaining proper temps and hidity a few days before you bring them home. I suggest an older juvenile or adult tort for your first tort. Their bodies are more forgiving of first time owners mistakes....
I have beeen doing a lot of research, but I was going to do that buy a juvenile or an adult.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I have beeen doing a lot of research, but I was going to do that buy a juvenile or an adult.
Good. There are many out there that need good homes. Just don't listen too hard to the previous owners care instructions...they may have kept the tort alive but not necessarily by using current methods. Hence my pyramided tort below. When I got him the previous owners told me to keep him dry. He was a 10 inch leopard in a exoterra tank he could barely turn around in. So much has been learned in recent years about the care of torts... you'll have a healthy tort if you use the methods here. A bunch of these folks on this forum run rescues, breed them or just have a bunch for pets...so much more knowledge here than in someone's book!

Attachments

• IMG_20150327_235119.jpg
    IMG_20150327_235119.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9

Eddie Ceja

Hawthorne,California
Good. There are many out there that need good homes. Just don't listen too hard to the previous owners care instructions...they may have kept the tort alive but not necessarily by using current methods. Hence my pyramided tort below. When I got him the previous owners told me to keep him dry. He was a 10 inch leopard in a exoterra tank he could barely turn around in. So much has been learned in recent years about the care of torts... you'll have a healthy tort if you use the methods here. A bunch of these folks on this forum run rescues, breed them or just have a bunch for pets...so much more knowledge here than in someone's book!
Can I find adoption pages here?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's shedding skin, I assume.

We all shed skin. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Humans do it in tiny bits that become house dust. Tortoises do it in patches and look downright tatty at times.

I must admit that I have never seen quite such a big piece but it wouldn't surprise me.

Does the skin underneath look OK?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just leave it. It will rub off naturally as your tort goes about its business. It will bother you far more than your tort :) Like I said they can look very tatty at times