New to this forum

Luna22

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I was wondering if someone can tell me what this is on my leopard tortoise noise I recently built and our door enclosure for all my tortoises and I brought her inside and saw a white mark on her nose I also attached there enclosure they get a few hours a day each in the enclosure

Attachments

• IMG_4683.png
    IMG_4683.png
    702.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 70526097573__95428CA5-B66E-4F5C-9085-D27D3291981E.jpeg
    70526097573__95428CA5-B66E-4F5C-9085-D27D3291981E.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like it has rubbed it too much on something.
How many tortoises do you have and are they all leopards?
When they are inside, are you housing them in a closed chamber with 80% humidity!
At his size he should be housed indoors more than out.
How old is he and the others?
Be sure to read the care sheet on here and the closed chamber thread.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was wondering if someone can tell me what this is on my leopard tortoise noise I recently built and our door enclosure for all my tortoises and I brought her inside and saw a white mark on her nose I also attached there enclosure they get a few hours a day each in the enclosure
I agree that is looks like the tortoise rubbed some nose scales off on something.

I see a HUGE problem in your outdoor enclosure that can kill your tortoise: Perlite. There are little white bits of perlite in the soil you used. This is deadly to tortoises and they eat it. It lines their intestinal tract and prevent food digestion. This cause lack of growth and sometimes death eventually. Remove the soil immediately.

Here is some helpful info and a care sheet at the bottom:

Luna22

NJ
I agree that is looks like the tortoise rubbed some nose scales off on something.

I see a HUGE problem in your outdoor enclosure that can kill your tortoise: Perlite. There are little white bits of perlite in the soil you used. This is deadly to tortoises and they eat it. It lines their intestinal tract and prevent food digestion. This cause lack of growth and sometimes death eventually. Remove the soil immediately.

Here is some helpful info and a care sheet at the bottom:
I did not know that I will remove it asap
Looks like it has rubbed it too much on something.
How many tortoises do you have and are they all leopards?
When they are inside, are you housing them in a closed chamber with 80% humidity!
At his size he should be housed indoors more than out.
How old is he and the others?
Be sure to read the care sheet on here and the closed chamber thread.
this little guy is 7 months I’ve had a lot of problems with him the breeder gave me a 20 day old leopard he’s only 62 grams he does live in house more then outside he’s too small he refuses to eat mazurri so I have to mix it with greens he loves with two leopards I also have a cherry head and an Indian star they live separate that enclosure is really for my cherry head but I do put them all out there to get some real son for a few hours a day when it’s nice out all my tanks are at 80 humidity and between 88 to 94 heat basking spot and a cool side of 70 73 I give them a lot of variety of foods but there so small they waste more then eat but I’ve owned torotise for a long time and care for them like kids better then I care for myself lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did not know that I will remove it asap

this little guy is 7 months I’ve had a lot of problems with him the breeder gave me a 20 day old leopard he’s only 62 grams he does live in house more then outside he’s too small he refuses to eat mazurri so I have to mix it with greens he loves with two leopards I also have a cherry head and an Indian star they live separate that enclosure is really for my cherry head but I do put them all out there to get some real son for a few hours a day when it’s nice out all my tanks are at 80 humidity and between 88 to 94 heat basking spot and a cool side of 70 73 I give them a lot of variety of foods but there so small they waste more then eat but I’ve owned torotise for a long time and care for them like kids better then I care for myself lol
There is no way a leopard is 62 grams at 20 days old. Do you mean you got him at 20 days, and he is up to 62 grams now, some time much later than 20 days old?

70-73 is much too cool for any of these species. The star and leopards should never drop below 80, and their basking areas should be 95-100 directly under the basking bulbs. Night time low can be 80, but daytime ambient should climb into the low 90s for the whole enclosure. All with 80+% humidity day and night.

Please give this a read through:

The cherry head needs a constant 80-86, with 82 being the target, 24/7, with no basking area. They need a large closed chamber to keep humidity up, but also maintain a dry-ish substrate surface to prevent the commonly seen fungal infections that this species gets from wet substrate.

These different species from different continents should never share space indoors or outdoors. I can't tell from what you wrote if they are outside all together in one enclosure getting sun, or if you have separate enclosure for tuning outside too. I just wanted to spell it all out to make sure you knew not to put them together.

Luna22

NJ
There is no way a leopard is 62 grams at 20 days old. Do you mean you got him at 20 days, and he is up to 62 grams now, some time much later than 20 days old?

70-73 is much too cool for any of these species. The star and leopards should never drop below 80, and their basking areas should be 95-100 directly under the basking bulbs. Night time low can be 80, but daytime ambient should climb into the low 90s for the whole enclosure. All with 80+% humidity day and night.

Please give this a read through:

The cherry head needs a constant 80-86, with 82 being the target, 24/7, with no basking area. They need a large closed chamber to keep humidity up, but also maintain a dry-ish substrate surface to prevent the commonly seen fungal infections that this species gets from wet substrate.

These different species from different continents should never share space indoors or outdoors. I can't tell from what you wrote if they are outside all together in one enclosure getting sun, or if you have separate enclosure for tuning outside too. I just wanted to spell it all out to make sure you knew not to put them together.
I’m assuming you didn’t understand anything I just said so I’ll repeat myself I got my leopard Tortoise 20 days old from a breeder had a lot of problems he is now 7 months old and 62 grams I keep all my tortoise at 80 humidity and 88 to 92 degree hot side and cool side is 70 to 73 degrees I have a 2 year old cherry head and four baby’s of different species these are my indoor set ups Arcadia lighting t5 10.0 and heat for a basking area and I have an out door enclosure that contains weeds dandelions milk thistle and tortoise grazing grass seeds along with a hibiscus plant and a garden of veggies sorry you miss understood my message

Attachments

• 70466749713__D13166FA-3CCD-468F-99C6-850D5298973A.jpeg
    70466749713__D13166FA-3CCD-468F-99C6-850D5298973A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 70466748357__9E84547E-62DB-4A44-A606-468E6EF3CDB6.jpeg
    70466748357__9E84547E-62DB-4A44-A606-468E6EF3CDB6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 70423508579__0022788C-DA18-427D-A705-5B448ED49307.jpeg
    70423508579__0022788C-DA18-427D-A705-5B448ED49307.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m assuming you didn’t understand anything I just said so I’ll repeat myself I got my leopard Tortoise 20 days old from a breeder had a lot of problems he is now 7 months old and 62 grams I keep all my tortoise at 80 humidity and 88 to 92 degree hot side and cool side is 70 to 73 degrees I have a 2 year old cherry head and four baby’s of different species these are my indoor set ups Arcadia lighting t5 10.0 and heat for a basking area and I have an out door enclosure that contains weeds dandelions milk thistle and tortoise grazing grass seeds along with a hibiscus plant and a garden of veggies sorry you miss understood my message
I did misunderstand the part about the age and weight, but we are clear on that now.

Here are the problems I see:
1. 70-73 degrees is too cool for all of these species.
2. Tortoises should never live as pairs. Referring to the pic with the two leopard tortoises in the same enclosure.
3. Peat moss will be eaten and it can cause impaction. You should remove that ASAP.
4. Basking temp needs to be 95-100 for the star and leopards, but the cherry head should not have a basking bulb at all. They just need consistently warm ambient temps.

The diet you are offering sounds great, and with the exception of the perlite and soil, the outdoor enclosure looks awesome.