New to this site, 8 years with Leopards, 1 year breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

benA

5 Year Member
Hello, I am Ben from Minnesota. I have been obsessed with my P. Pardalis Leopards ever since I got my first 8 years ago. Somehow, in all my thousands of hours online I never dug into this site and so I have missed all the great info/people here. I am glad I finally woke up!

I got my first P.Pardalis Leopard 8 years ago and my second 5 years ago. I have raised them both to adulthood in my basement, doing the best I can being in Minnesota. Last summer my female - Aphrodite (8 1/2 year - 28 pounds) laid her first clutch in a hole cut in the floor of her enclosure. She refused to dig in the large dirt part of the enclosure built specifically for her to lay eggs (not knowing if she ever would!). She wanted to dig on the plywood floor - so we cut a hole and dropped a bin with dirt right there and she laid 6 eggs. She then laid 3 more clutches last fall. I chilled the eggs @ 60 degrees for month to break diapause, and then incubated @ 85 and crossed our fingers. In March we hatched the first of 9 babies, our latest just last week.

I work hard to raise them healthy and happy but I would like to learn more about care and meet more people that share this interest. There don't seem to be a lot of people breeding P. Pardalis Leopards out there, but I am looking. Being in MN, and having to house indoors most of the year, I feel pretty lucky to have succeeded at breeding and hatching these guys. Hopefully my female will stay busy.

Good to meet you all,
Ben

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Welcome Ben, I know you've already posted a few, but I would love to see more pictures of your tortoises and setup. What amazes me most is that your tortoises are producing at only 8 and 5 years old...you must be doing something right!

benA

5 Year Member
jeffbens0n said:
Welcome Ben, I know you've already posted a few, but I would love to see more pictures of your tortoises and setup. What amazes me most is that your tortoises are producing at only 8 and 5 years old...you must be doing something right!

No one is more surprised than me! I hoped she would produce, but I had no idea when. From what I could find out, even from Richard Fife, there is no set age. I think because she reached a certain size she was ready. She rocketed to 20 pounds and then slowed way down over the past 3 years. My male is on a slower growth path, but I was also surprised that he was able. Of course if he was unable, it was not for a lack of trying, if you know what I mean! I figured with his interest, i'd better be ready. What I could never find out was whether she would lay eggs regardless if the male was present - or was he required to get her going?

Ben

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It'll be nice to have a pardalis breeder on the forum. You're right there are only a handful of pardalis breeders out there right now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome! Pictures please. So glad you found us. You said you hoped you could learn from us... well I hope we can learn from you too.

The breeder that I got my pp from said that they are mature and able to reproduce as early as 6-7 years.

There are a whole lot of threads on the pp, I'd love to hear what your experiences and thoughts are on anything pp related.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Man,that's quite an accomplishment! Congrats. You are one of the few on here to do so. Lots of good info here.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hello and welcome to the forum! We look forward to pictures and talking with you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ben:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Ben welcome to the TFO :) it's been said but hear it goes again pic's please :D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Ben...so glad you found the forum. Did you get your leos from Fife? I am impressed that you are able to do everything you do in the cold country. Pics please :cool:

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
glad to have you here ben!
and welcome to the forum..

anyway, can u upload the picts of your tort?:D

benA

5 Year Member
evlinLoutries said:
glad to have you here ben!
and welcome to the forum..

anyway, can u upload the picts of your tort?:D

Good morning to you all. I appreciate the very warm welcome and I can see that everyone (like me) loves to see photos! (No one requested a photo of me, just my torts! - what am I, chopped liver? ;)). Actually i am under a couple crazy work deadlines but I promise I will post some pics as soon as I can of my torts. I will start a new thread for that.

Talk to you all soon,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.