New to tortising!

Button

Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hi all,

My name is Lara and yesterday I brought home a 4 1/2 month old Horsfield Tortoise called Button...he's making me very nervous...all he has done is bury himself under his substrate (bark). He's eaten a grand total of about 3 leaves, when I put them in front of him, but not drunk anything...should I worry or is he jus trying to settle in?

He's super cute though...very pleased to have him at home - my two cats are very interested too!

Attachments

• IMG_7464.jpg
    IMG_7464.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7471.jpg
    IMG_7471.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 20

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. I have a sister named Lara.
It seems this type of behavior is common in new tortoises, but including a photo of your lighting and sharing with us your temperatures, etc would help us help you....If in fact you require any.

Button

The Netherlands
I've got all the stuff that I was told to get, and it all seems right based on all the research (which is tons...thank you Google!). Temps are around 31-35 in the warm end (by the basking and UV lights) and between 24-27 in the cooler end!
I have a 25W UVB 100 Exo-Terra and a 75W Daylight Basking Spot light, also Exo-Terra

Any help would be greatly appreciated...at the moment I'm staring at a blank space...he's buried himself again!

Button

The Netherlands
Actually, one important question...should it be moist in there...I can't quite work it out!! (Sorry if I seem really stupid right now...I've wanted a tortoise for ages and I just want to do it all properly!)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
They hide to feel safe.
lots of things eat them in the wild.
Also, in general, babies sleep most of the day.
That said, I'm not much on Russians, but many folks here ARE. They're likely sleeping right now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Actually, one important question...should it be moist in there...I can't quite work it out!! (Sorry if I seem really stupid right now...I've wanted a tortoise for ages and I just want to do it all properly!)
Your baby needs humidity. Yes. But as I said I don't know a lot about Russians. maybe visit our library in the meanwhile and read up on them.

Button

The Netherlands
Awesome...that makes me a little less concerned...thank you! I'm in The Netherlands, which is why I'm up and about! I'll have a look around this site in the meantime...thank you so much! :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Lara, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Button.
Yes, it looks a bit dry to me, you must keep up the humidity.
It is perfectly normal for a young tortoise to hide and sleep a lot, especially when new, they are prey animals and he is just working out whether he's in another tortoise's territory, if there are predators about and if you are going to eat him.
When he realizes it's safe, it's his home and you are the food god, he should begin to explore and be happy.
Don't know your bulbs, but hope they're not coiled or compacts as these can harm your tortoise.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
to begin and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Button

The Netherlands
This afternoon he has come out, eaten something, gone into his water bowl, drunk and had a poo! Now found his log and hasn't buried himself again..Must be safe now! :)
I'll get the humidity up, thanks for the advice! Loving this forum by the way - so so useful so far!!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the desert !
m0754.gif

Button

The Netherlands
Thanks all, it's so good to have a space that I can ask questions and look up some answers when I'm unsure (which is a lot at the moment!)

I bought him some Romaine Lettuce today and he's eaten more than he has for the last 2 days combined! He's just not really up and around - he buries himself and doesn't come out unless i uncover him...I'm guessing this is just because he's a baby? He's only about the length of my ring finger, he's really little!!

Also, he doesn't seem to enjoy soaking at all...he has just tried to clambour out each time (I checked temp and depth, both fine!) is this common? I should be doing this twice a day, right? He doesn't stay in for longer than about 5 mins though - he seems to get a bit distressed if I try to leave him in there!

Thanks again, look forward to chatting about all things tortoise! :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It's good he's eating, but romaine is not the best thing for him in the long run, too much water content not enough nutrition, but good to start.
Check the diet advice on the care sheet.
Babies hide a lot, as they are prey animals in nature, but once he gets bigger, braver and more confident in his surroundings he will come out more.
Lots of torts don't like being soaked, use a high sided opaque container he can't see out of and let him stay they for longer. he may not like it, but it's good for him.