New to Tortoise Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Hello, I am a pround mother of a wonderful 19 month old boy named Karson and a 4 year old boxer named Porsha. We also have a new addition to our family, his/her name is Oso (Karson named tortoise after one of his favorite Disney TV shows LOL) he is a Leopard Tortoise. We were told he is about 7 months old.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Welcome to the forum Ashley. :) When you can would you post some pictures of your new addition? Where did you get h/her from? Do you already have the enclosure set up? :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
is oso a special agent of some type? :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Hi Ashley and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have an active and busy life with those three in it. :D

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Hello, here are some pics of Oso. I got him/her from a local breeder her in Phoenix. I have his/her enclosure for inside set up already and bought alot of stuff to get started on planting him/her a garden and an outdoor enclosure.
I also put up a pics of his/her underside, I know its too early to tell if its a male or female but I was wondering if anyone was up for taking a guess at it? I'm thinking female based on what I have see online but I am no expert LOL

View attachment 9683
View attachment 9684
View attachment 9685

LOL my son sure thinks he is!!

dmmj said:
Welcome
is oso a special agent of some type? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks for posting the pictures so fast. He's a cutie, but I do think that he's just a bit young to tell what sex yet. :D :p Congratulations on getting him though. I bet you already know this but be extremely careful with him around the dog. We've seen terrible outcomes of tortoise and dog accidents here on the forum before.

River14

5 Year Member
Oh its darling do you think it might need a mate whatever sex it turns out to be? I find the idea of a single tortoise till death rather appalling.

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
River14 said:
Oh its darling do you think it might need a mate whatever sex it turns out to be? I find the idea of a single tortoise till death rather appalling.

I plan on getting one more as a mate once I get the hand of what I'm doing and once I know for sure what sex he/she is.

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Candy said:
Thanks for posting the pictures so fast. He's a cutie, but I do think that he's just a bit young to tell what sex yet. :D :p Congratulations on getting him though. I bet you already know this but be extremely careful with him around the dog. We've seen terrible outcomes of tortoise and dog accidents here on the forum before.

Of course I would hate for somthing like that to happen. I have set him on the floor with my dog while i was sitting right next to her. All my dog does is lay there lol. But we are for sure being soo soo careful. He/she is so tiny and cute i would never let something like that to happen.

River14

5 Year Member
Ashley I have Boerboels rather large powerful African mastiffs, they do the same. One sniff and the little tortoises are rolled over. They look at the little skinny legs waving in the air for a few seconds then walk off. These are guardian dogs and are more likely to adopt one than eat it. I tried very hard to avoid this as I wouldn't have any access to the poor little beasts once my dogs decided to adopt one.

I try and do every thing secretly to avoid my dogs taking a real interest. However they rather like the smell of Mazuri pellets even if the bbs dont at all. They will delicately eat them all before bb tortoise even has a chance, then lick the poor tortoise as if to say I've saved you from that poison.

My dogs couldn't stop baby sitting even my son. If he squeaked while I was doing the nappy they crowd the window with big frowned brows and worried eyes, what the hell was I doing to the poor little helpless thing.

Geesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.