New to TortoiseForum!

a.albright2013

5 Year Member
Hi! My name is Alexi and I've actually been a member of this site for a few years now but I haven't been on in many years, and I never formally introduced myself. I'm from the Chicagoland area, and I actually got my first tortoise, a Russian Tortoise, from a very nice woman on here a few years back. I'm on here again because I recently upgraded my tortoises habitat to make it bigger and better to his needs, and I've decided that I would love to find a second tortoise to keep my first company, since I have more room. Based on his size, I would say my tortoise is around 5 years old, and I've had him for 3 years. His name is Squirtle, after the Pokemon haha. He's been a great pet, and I would love to talk to some of you on here about different options for habitats, feeding, and care. I try my best and I've done my research but I would love to know if anything I'm doing is wrong, or if there's better options. Currently the heat lamp I had set up broke and severely damaged my tortoises tank and many things in it. Luckily no tortoises were harmed, but I want to research the different kinds of lights and fixtures to keep that from happening again.
If you've read through all of that, thank you. Below is a picture of my Squirtle from when he's happiest.

IMG_0636.JPG

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Your Russian tortoise would really appreciate you not getting him a roommate - they're very territorial and do not want or enjoy company. If you get a second tortoise, it will need a separate habitat.

It may just be a funny shadow on the photo, but to me, it looks like your tortoise has a very overgrown beak. You may need to trim it if it isn't being worn down naturally.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome, even though you been here for some time. I already posted on your other thread about adding a second tort, so won't do that again. However, I agree with the above post, your torts beak is way over grown and needs trimming. After you get it trimmed, a reptile get with tortoise experience can do that, then feed him on a piece of flat rock or tile, it will help keep it filed down

Vladsfriend

Ohio
Hi! My name is Alexi and I've actually been a member of this site for a few years now but I haven't been on in many years, and I never formally introduced myself. I'm from the Chicagoland area, and I actually got my first tortoise, a Russian Tortoise, from a very nice woman on here a few years back. I'm on here again because I recently upgraded my tortoises habitat to make it bigger and better to his needs, and I've decided that I would love to find a second tortoise to keep my first company, since I have more room. Based on his size, I would say my tortoise is around 5 years old, and I've had him for 3 years. His name is Squirtle, after the Pokemon haha. He's been a great pet, and I would love to talk to some of you on here about different options for habitats, feeding, and care. I try my best and I've done my research but I would love to know if anything I'm doing is wrong, or if there's better options. Currently the heat lamp I had set up broke and severely damaged my tortoises tank and many things in it. Luckily no tortoises were harmed, but I want to research the different kinds of lights and fixtures to keep that from happening again.
If you've read through all of that, thank you. Below is a picture of my Squirtle from when he's happiest.
Welcome to the forum! You came to the right place for advice. I've received a lot of help here and it can be a little overwhelming at times. But if you check the Russian Tortoise specific posts, it can answer a lot of questions. And if you have questions about your lighting/current setup, pictures and dimensions are very helpful.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Pairs are a bad idea. Depending on the size of the enclosure, a group of 3 or more might be ok. Sometimes even then you have to separate.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Is your enclosure big enough for three?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Hi, welcome to the forum. This s the best place to get info on all torts and turtles. I also have Russans!