New to tortoises but not to herps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePaganJew

5 Year Member
Hello there! I found my way over this site via Pangea (crested gecko site). I've finally been able to fulfill a life long dream of getting a tortoise. He was purchased from a pet store but one I do business with myself, deals almost exclusively in CB and tries to acquire the animals from local breeders instead of wholesalers. Like the title says I'm new to tortoises but not to herps in general. So I figured I'd to make sure I'm doing right by my new little one. I've found a very high percentage of the time that books are out of date and it's best to come right to the people that have these animals in their homes. So may I introduce myself and my baby Russian Tortoise, Ludwig Von Koopa.
LVKwetface.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey welcome! Ludwig is very good looking. Nothing cuter than a baby

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Hey Pagan! Glad you made it over! Lots of GREAT info here ;) Your new one is a cutie! More pics!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hah! That's our second "Koopa" recently, and the other Koopa is also a Russian (GreeK?), living in Scotland. We are just such a cosmopolitan forum here. ;)

What is that substrate little Ludwig is on? Looks like you're feeding him a nice varied diet...is he a good eater?

He's a wee guy for such a big name; what do you call him? Besides cute? :p

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome to the forum

You will end up selling all your other herps for money for tortoises....just kiddin.

Hope you enjoy it here

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Very cute.. Looks like he is on sand.. ?
See how it sticks to his feet? It will also stick to his food and he will ingest it..
This could cause some problems, especially in a tiny baby..
Welcome!!

ThePaganJew

5 Year Member
He's on a mix of coconut fiber and sand which I will be switching him off of once I have a break in my busy schedule. This little on is already spoiled with at least one of 2 different sets of 3 greens and a grated veggie at each meal as well as live lettuces growing in his enclosure (all organic no pesticides, I asked the nursery I bought it from). We call him our little compost heap, the amount he eats and poops is nuts lol.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! A cutie for sure! Yeah, Russians are usually pretty good eaters and what goes in must come out. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.