New to tortoises, grateful for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Hi I'm Rebecca im 17 from England.
I was given a horsefield tortoise end of last year by a good friend.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372519482.509749.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372519544.485097.jpg
My mum nd I looked after his cousins one for a week, when they collected him I said would help whenever nd how much I'd loved looking after him. I've been ill for around 5yrs and can't do much but looking after him was a nice distraction from feeling unwell/in pain.
Few weeks after he turned up with a horsefield for me, I'm not sure the age but think its female.
We where exited but worried as we know they need v good care nd don't want to do anything wrong.
I am enjoying thinking of dif things to give her/do to enclosure to try make sure she has the best possible life.
When I got her I bought a tortoise table/ lights straight away(as u can c in pics, holders are rubbish and break,until I get new ones have had to make do with what we have)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372519595.832127.jpg
Thinking of getting a combined bulb is that a good idea nd which is best to get? I know from research I've done ones I have are bad for her.
Also need advice on reflectors if poss?
Is my tortoise table ok for her can't get much bigger one? I am looking for other bits to go in the enclosure.

I use 50/50 top soil/play sand for substrate, water available all the time.
Not sure if I need to weigh/measure her.
I dont have the biggest budget but would b great full if you let me know your suggestions?

This will prob be the first of a few posts as I really want to get everything right for little tort :)
Sorry for this being so long
Hope to get some replies asap [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Rebecca

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1372519215.787571.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1372519215.787571.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 70
  • ImageUploadedByTortForum1372519425.953228.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1372519425.953228.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:

sparkle

5 Year Member
New to tortoises, great full for your time

Hi there,

I'm also from the UK and have a horsefield ....... Welcome to the forum!

I have a combined bulb, and much prefer them to the others ....... And my tort seems quite happy with it :)

It's difficult for us over here because our weather is so appalling, but my enclosure isn't much bigger then yours. But I make sure that my tort gets lots of opportunity to wonder around the house and if the suns out she's immediately whisked not the garden! Need to make sure that they utilise their leg muscles and get to explore :)

I also use the same substrate as you - it's fine for them!

Make sure you offer it a varied diet, flowers, leaves and weeds from the garden, greens and some veggies ..... There are lists available detailing what is ok for them. Also regular baths, mine lives for her baths lol!

Hope this is of some help,

Charlie :) xx

Rramagge

5 Year Member

Thanx so much Charlie
Which make of the combined bulbs do u get?
Lol I let her go on the floor sometimes because she is always scratching at the sides of the enclosure and trying to escape as well.ImageUploadedByTortForum1372522625.040692.jpg is it ok to let her do that?
Yep I my mum has to go foraging in the garden as I'm to ill to get out but she finds dandelions nd I am trying to grow some other things like water cress and I think there is a certain grass that we have grown.
Oh tell me about it I think we should go live in America or Spain lol somewhere hot good for the tortoises and the owners[FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD]
Oh last thing sorry, what is the coldest temp u will let yours go outside 4? I only have this cage that we move around the garden as since I have had here there hasn't been the best weatherImageUploadedByTortForum1372522787.284548.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372522815.737695.jpg

Rebecca

Oops meant I get not I my mum :p

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California

Welcome!

So lets start with the bulb. I'm not sure but are you using coiled bulb? Something to avoid. Not to worry you but I would replace that. Something I would recommend is a mercury UVA/UVB bulb! I love it!

For sexing, please post pictures of the bottom including the tail. A lot of people can tell you what the sex is just by looking. But if he/she is too young, will just have to wait.

Aside from that I didn't get to read others post yet but I'm sure a lot of people will post something soon enough.

Welcome once again and grats on your new friend!

Rramagge

5 Year Member
I don't really have a pic of her upside down this is the best I have at the mo ImageUploadedByTortForum1372529501.902003.jpg
And what make of bulb is it that you use because there seem to be quite a few different makes all with different costs

slugbug1

5 Year Member
Hi Rebecca I'm from the uk and have two horsefields too ( where in the uk are you) -

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rebecca, and welcome to the Forum!!

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
Hello Rebecca ! I'm also from Britain and it is quite difficult to keep a tort as a pet when the weather is bad as this ! But what I have is not a combined bulb, personally I find them great for temporarily enclosures .. But I think you should have separate bulbs because when your tortoise moves out of the basking area she will not be getting any UVA and UVB .. But if you where to get a UV floodlight which covers the whole enclosure and a simple desk lamp and a bulb for basking , he would still get UV which is needed throughout the torts lifetime .. I strongly consider you using another source of lighting although it is quite expensive buying both and especially the UV floodlight .. The choice is completely up to you and I understand your restricted budget ..

1 dwarf hamster
2 Russian torts
5 freshwater fish

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Thank you I will have a look and c what I can do. Which are the makes of light that you would suggest so I can make sure I'm not looking at rubbish ones lol

Rebecca

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
Arcadia is quite a popular and good quality lighting brand I think you should go for this brand :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Temperature will be fine for outdoor time if above 18 C or about 65 F when dry and not too windy.

Status
Not open for further replies.