New to Tortoises, meet Stoli :D

xBapes

Location (City and/or State)
Cockeysville, MD
Unfortunately 6ft is where I have to stop. We are living in a 1 bedroom apartment and 6ft I'd pushing it. Maybe when we decide to move from here next year I'll expand a couple more feet and go to 8 as someone else recommended but for now he's going to have to chill at 6ft and plenty of exercise on the outside since the weather is becoming warmer

Tammie

USA
Why are you not paying attention? I totally said I'm buying a second enclosure to expand the dimensions..it will be a total of 6ft in length. Please read a bit more clearly before throwing your opinion into something. I'm not being stubborn, I've gathered quite a bit of research from plenty of outlets... The single 3ft is just temporary until my custom stands are built. He gets plenty of exercise in the mean time. Relax dude
I would like to say this: you are a new tortoise owner like myself. You came on this form to ask questions because you don’t know and want to know so stop with the knee jerk reactions. Everyone wants to help you they mean no disrespect. I also have two Russians. They are not from Russia. They are desert tortoise. That doesn’t mean it does not get cold. Russians tort hibernate so the cold weather where you live will not harm him. See their long sharp nails they are for digging in hard packed rocky sand. Mine live outside all year. As long as they can dig a burrow ( from cold or heat) they will be fine. They also need hills to climb. They will burrow under rocks on hill sides. Every new enclosure or move the Russian needs 1-2 yrs to adjust. If you watch You Tube Garden state Tortoise they have an educational clip on the Russian Tort. Have a long and Happy Life with your Tortoise.

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Thank you, that is why I transferred to organic top soil from the coir/sand mix since everyone is against any amount of sand. I like that it includes some peat moss as well. He seems to really enjoy the digging in this dirt a bit more. It seems to form and pack down much better while making it easier for him to dig through. I haven't noticed any sand particles in the soil either which is good I suppose. I've never thought if Russian Tortoises as forest/woodland species seeming they are more common around Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, Iran, and Pakistan. Though they can be found in China and Russia. I've always felt they were a mixture of desert and woodland, so more of a Grassland species.

Last edited:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I would like to say this: you are a new tortoise owner like myself. You came on this form to ask questions because you don’t know and want to know so stop with the knee jerk reactions. Everyone wants to help you they mean no disrespect. I also have two Russians. They are not from Russia. They are desert tortoise. That doesn’t mean it does not get cold. Russians tort hibernate so the cold weather where you live will not harm him. See their long sharp nails they are for digging in hard packed rocky sand. Mine live outside all year. As long as they can dig a burrow ( from cold or heat) they will be fine. They also need hills to climb. They will burrow under rocks on hill sides. Every new enclosure or move the Russian needs 1-2 yrs to adjust. If you watch You Tube Garden state Tortoise they have an educational clip on the Russian Tort. Have a long and Happy Life with your Tortoise.

(They’re not a desert species, they come from grasslands and forests :) )

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Are we talking about Russians? Russian tortoises come from the steppe, a barren, rock filled dry area, grassland plain.

Yeah, areas like Afghanistan also have Grasslands too, I think most people hear Afghanistan or Iran and almost instantly think if desert. While those countries have deserts, they also have vegetation. So like you said, rock filled soil, semi dry to dry.. Grassland

Tammie

USA
(They’re not a desert species, they come from grasslands and forests :) )
Let’s get technical: this article is wonderful for Russian. BTW, I have mine on hard sand and I know what “ everyone” said about it but they live on hard packed sand. Here’s the info:
The Horsfield's tortoise is an Asiatic species of wide zoogeographic distribution, albeit at low individual population densities. In a recent study conducted in Southern Turkemen, Makeev, Bozhanski and Frolov (1986) provide estimated density figures of 308 animals per square kilometre, or 3 animals per hectare. In other parts of its range the density is believed to be considerably lower. The reported range includes Baluchistan, Pakistan, Eastern Iran, Afghanistan, Western China to the Caspian Sea in the former USSR.Environmentally, the Horsfield's tortoise prefers warm, dry and well ventilated conditions. Enclosed vivaria are not well tolerated. An outdoor terrarium situated in a sunny position, with a slope for basking purposes is ideal. As noted previously, these tortoises are prodigious and industrious excavators: the enclosure must be checked regularly for 'escape tunnels' - keeping Horsfield's tortoises secure is no easy task. They are proficient in the art of escape and are extremely agile.This species has a high tolerance of both extreme heat and extreme cold, and in the wild survives these conditions by either hibernating or aestivating. In captivity, it is essential to provide a very secure pen as these tortoises are exceptionally agile and persistent escapers, capable of burrowing underground tunnels several metres long. They are also excellent climbers. External pen walls should ideally be 'dug in' with at least 30mm of wire mesh set into the ground. In summer, T. horsfieldi is active outdoors throughout Britain and most of Europe, but should be provided with good protection from rain and damp, to both of which it has a poor tolerance. A cold, dry Horsfield's tortoise can survive for some considerable time; a cold, damp Horsfield's tortoise is likely to succumb to pneumonia very quickly. In prolonged spells of cold and wet weather, T. horsfieldi is best removed to an indoor terrarium equipped with a basking lamp and dry substrate.
In the former USSR this species occurs principally on sandy steppes, although loamy habitats have also been recorded. In Pakistan, Minton (1966) found T. horsfieldi exhibited a preference for grassy areas close to springs in generally rocky and hilly terrain. This species is well known for its digging abilities; tunnels up to 2m long with widened chambers at the end are frequently excavated in steep hillsides or under overhanging stones (Mylnarski and Wermuth, 1971). The disused burrows of rodents are also colonised and adapted: the burrows of the Marmot and Hedgehog appear to be particularly favoured (similar behaviour has recently been observed by this author in relation to arid South Moroccan habitats of T. graeca graeca where abandoned Hare burrows are used by aestivating tortoises (Highfield, in press). This tortoise is reported not to occur in coastal areas, preferring instead the mountains inland. In the former USSR the species is active for only 3 months of the year, usually March, April and May. From late May onwards activity sharply decreases and the tortoises spend most of their time hidden in their burrows. In the northern parts of its range, T. horsfieldi hibernates in winter deep within its burrow; in the southern parts of its range aestivation occurs in summer (Ernst and Barbour, 1989). In Pakistan, captive tortoises were observed to bury themselves from October to March and aestivation occurred from June to August (Roberts, 1975). This tortoise is also found at unusually extreme altitudes: Minton (1966) found them at between 1,600 and 2,300 m. A more typical altitude in the former soviet sector of their range would appear to be between 800m. and 1,600 m.
My two Russian were rescued. My female has 1 eye and the male was almost dead. Not eating or really moving. I was told Russian do not do well in fla. because of the humidity levels but mine live outside and have gained wt. very active and now breeding. My female that I was told has one eye actually has both eyes. But due to someone keeping her too dry low humidity her second eye lid fused but I chose to leave it alone . The vet stated if she removes the lid and the eye wasn’t working then that would cause her to loose her eye from infection. Lots of people have given advice ( asked and not asked) but I decided to leave it alone for now. Enjoy your tort. My female hisses all the time my male never does...

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Let’s get technical: this article is wonderful for Russian. BTW, I have mine on hard sand and I know what “ everyone” said about it but they live on hard packed sand. Here’s the info:
The Horsfield's tortoise is an Asiatic species of wide zoogeographic distribution, albeit at low individual population densities. In a recent study conducted in Southern Turkemen, Makeev, Bozhanski and Frolov (1986) provide estimated density figures of 308 animals per square kilometre, or 3 animals per hectare. In other parts of its range the density is believed to be considerably lower. The reported range includes Baluchistan, Pakistan, Eastern Iran, Afghanistan, Western China to the Caspian Sea in the former USSR.Environmentally, the Horsfield's tortoise prefers warm, dry and well ventilated conditions. Enclosed vivaria are not well tolerated. An outdoor terrarium situated in a sunny position, with a slope for basking purposes is ideal. As noted previously, these tortoises are prodigious and industrious excavators: the enclosure must be checked regularly for 'escape tunnels' - keeping Horsfield's tortoises secure is no easy task. They are proficient in the art of escape and are extremely agile.This species has a high tolerance of both extreme heat and extreme cold, and in the wild survives these conditions by either hibernating or aestivating. In captivity, it is essential to provide a very secure pen as these tortoises are exceptionally agile and persistent escapers, capable of burrowing underground tunnels several metres long. They are also excellent climbers. External pen walls should ideally be 'dug in' with at least 30mm of wire mesh set into the ground. In summer, T. horsfieldi is active outdoors throughout Britain and most of Europe, but should be provided with good protection from rain and damp, to both of which it has a poor tolerance. A cold, dry Horsfield's tortoise can survive for some considerable time; a cold, damp Horsfield's tortoise is likely to succumb to pneumonia very quickly. In prolonged spells of cold and wet weather, T. horsfieldi is best removed to an indoor terrarium equipped with a basking lamp and dry substrate.
In the former USSR this species occurs principally on sandy steppes, although loamy habitats have also been recorded. In Pakistan, Minton (1966) found T. horsfieldi exhibited a preference for grassy areas close to springs in generally rocky and hilly terrain. This species is well known for its digging abilities; tunnels up to 2m long with widened chambers at the end are frequently excavated in steep hillsides or under overhanging stones (Mylnarski and Wermuth, 1971). The disused burrows of rodents are also colonised and adapted: the burrows of the Marmot and Hedgehog appear to be particularly favoured (similar behaviour has recently been observed by this author in relation to arid South Moroccan habitats of T. graeca graeca where abandoned Hare burrows are used by aestivating tortoises (Highfield, in press). This tortoise is reported not to occur in coastal areas, preferring instead the mountains inland. In the former USSR the species is active for only 3 months of the year, usually March, April and May. From late May onwards activity sharply decreases and the tortoises spend most of their time hidden in their burrows. In the northern parts of its range, T. horsfieldi hibernates in winter deep within its burrow; in the southern parts of its range aestivation occurs in summer (Ernst and Barbour, 1989). In Pakistan, captive tortoises were observed to bury themselves from October to March and aestivation occurred from June to August (Roberts, 1975). This tortoise is also found at unusually extreme altitudes: Minton (1966) found them at between 1,600 and 2,300 m. A more typical altitude in the former soviet sector of their range would appear to be between 800m. and 1,600 m.
My two Russian were rescued. My female has 1 eye and the male was almost dead. Not eating or really moving. I was told Russian do not do well in fla. because of the humidity levels but mine live outside and have gained wt. very active and now breeding. My female that I was told has one eye actually has both eyes. But due to someone keeping her too dry low humidity her second eye lid fused but I chose to leave it alone . The vet stated if she removes the lid and the eye wasn’t working then that would cause her to loose her eye from infection. Lots of people have given advice ( asked and not asked) but I decided to leave it alone for now. Enjoy your tort. My female hisses all the time my male never does...

I am very sorry to hear about your tortoises eye. I hope everything gets better! If anything I think they would technically live on a sand/soil mix. I just decided after some of the advice to compromise and go for top soil. I like the peat moss addition and the still realistic substrate. Sand does cause impaction as I had experienced impaction with a breeder named Ken Foos from Exotic Pets LV who sent me an impacted uromastyx, who later died. I was heart broken. I would never use straight sand on any reptile unless it was absolutely necessary. Of course impaction can happen on any loose substrate.

Last edited:

Tammie

USA
Your correct. I only used the sand outside because it stays so packed from the outdoor environment. In door I can’t keep it packed. But I only feed on large flat stone so they don’t eat off the ground. I will try and post a pic of mine. I have several different tortoise ( yellow foot, redfoot, pancake, lepord, 2 sulcata, elongated, turtle: Africa side necks and cooters, musk, stinkpots) but I love my Russian the best. I’m not sure why. I guess because they were my first and so sick. But ck out the pancake if you haven’t seen one. Now they also have some personality and make good indoor apartment tortoise.

Attachments

• B090DE65-D84D-401A-AC2B-EC49A4C8B691.jpeg
    B090DE65-D84D-401A-AC2B-EC49A4C8B691.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 1D0E82CA-024A-401A-9E1C-52C2224A1549.jpeg
    1D0E82CA-024A-401A-9E1C-52C2224A1549.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Yeah I've seen them before. I love the Russian I have so much more... He's just got so much personality, and if course he's my first maybe last. You really have a collection of tortoises I see

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I am very sorry to hear about your tortoises eye. I hope everything gets better! If anything I think they would technically live on a sand/soil mix. I just decided after some of the advice to compromise and go for top soil. I like the peat moss addition and the still realistic substrate. Sand does cause impaction as I had experienced impaction with a breeder named Ken Foos from Exotic Pets LV who sent me an impacted uromastyx, who later died. I was heart broken. I would never use straight sand on any reptile unless it was absolutely necessary. Of course impaction can happen on any loose substrate.

It’s a good idea to add the peat moss! I actually use a mix of peat moss, coco coir, and orchid bark for my sulcata. While it works ok for my sulcata, I bet it would be great for a Russian because it stays dry ontop and damp below, and you can pack it down nicely. You could even go full peat moss, because it doesn’t turn into mud when wet like topsoil.
It’s cheap, too!

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
It’s a good idea to add the peat moss! I actually use a mix of peat moss, coco coir, and orchid bark for my sulcata. While it works ok for my sulcata, I bet it would be great for a Russian because it stays dry ontop and damp below, and you can pack it down nicely. You could even go full peat moss, because it doesn’t turn into mud when wet like topsoil.
It’s cheap, too!

Yeah I couldn't find the any straight peat moss at Lowe's. I suppose with the weather turning and gardening starting here soon, everyone is buying it up. When I saw that this top soil had peat moss in it the first thing I said was SCORE! I bought a couple of bags, it was only about 2.40 a bag.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yeah I couldn't find the any straight peat moss at Lowe's. I suppose with the weather turning and gardening starting here soon, everyone is buying it up. When I saw that this top soil had peat moss in it the first thing I said was SCORE! I bought a couple of bags, it was only about 2.40 a bag.

I found a 3 cubic foot bag for 10$ at Home Depot [emoji14]

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
10o0bhz.jpg

zvtn9x.jpg

fuz3oj.jpg

It's a big world out there

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Yes, record breaking temps in our area today. I see your tort benefited from Ma Nature’s warmth.

He kept running to the muddy area of course, to burrow lol...I had to keep picking him up and putting him further away. I live right next to a hill ldo I let him climb the hill since they love to climb and elevate themselves

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
He kept running to the muddy area of course, to burrow lol...I had to keep picking him up and putting him further away. I live right next to a hill ldo I let him climb the hill since they love to climb and elevate themselves

Like all pets and kids... run to the muddy dirty spots, then drop and roll. Our Sully didn’t get outside todsy, but did appreciate the increased temp in his sunroom. Ate like a horse. In fact, is still chomping away..

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Like all pets and kids... run to the muddy dirty spots, then drop and roll. Our Sully didn’t get outside todsy, but did appreciate the increased temp in his sunroom. Ate like a horse. In fact, is still chomping away..

Stoli gets antsy in the morning if I don't feed him on time. I can hear him pacing around and scratching around the food dish and side of the enclosures. As soon as he sees the greens in the dish he runs right over. His light is about to go out soon so I'm sure he's just about ready to call it a night and bury away lol