New to Tortoises. Meet these two.

Rebs

My husband and I moved into a house in Los Angeles last October and it came with two tortoises. A few days before we moved in they went into brumation. They came out last week!
We don't know their ages, sexes or names. No one seems to know their backstory. They eat the grass in the yard and are often munching on dandelions and we put out a tray of water.

A few questions I'm wondering about:

1. Would these tortoises be considered captive? The yard is probably 3,000sf.

2. Is there a way to tell what type of tortoise they are?

3. Does anyone have a dog who interacts with their tortoise? This might warrant a separate thread. We used to let our dog roam the backyard freely but since the tortoises have come out she is obsessed with them, paws at the ground around them, whines and drools onto them, it seems like she wants them to emerge from their shells and and play- I think. So we've had to keep her away from them because it seems like tortoise harassment.

PICTURES (I'll try to get more close-ups this week)
-Now that they're out of brumation they usually sleep under the side of the house. A few nights ago it was really hot out and they slept side by side with just their heads under the house.
-The darker one eating a weed.

email_2015-03-14 21.06.32.jpg greentortoise.jpg
email_2015-03-14 21.06.32.jpggreentortoise.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. Those are California desert tortoises. I'd keep the dog(s) away. Too many tragic stories of tortoises becoming chew toys and losing their lives. @Yvonne G and @ascott are the people that come to mind with desert tortoise and California questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, as Tortadise has already stated, because your dog has shown an interest in the tortoises, it stands to reason he WILL chew on them eventually. Please be sure to never, ever allow the dog to be alone with the tortoises.

Here's a nice care sheet for desert tortoises:

http://www.donsdeserttortoises.com/2.html

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and welcome to the forum!
What lovely desert tortoises they are.
Other wiser heads have already answered two of your questions, so I will try to address the third.
An animal is considered to be 'in captivity' if it is cared for by humans.
In this case they are enclosed on your property, however large it may be, and you will have to interact with them to some extent, even if only to protect them from the dog, so I would say that they are, technically, captive.
But then bugs and so on are on your property and wouldn't be considered captive, but I think you have a responsibility for these beautiful animals and will help care for them when necessary, so yes, in my opinion, they are in captivity.
Be careful of the dog!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. I also have couple CDT.

That are lovely torts. Welcome! ! !

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ruby looks like an old and dear well loved family member. :) Welcome to the forum. I would love to move into a house with those two in residence.