New to tortoises need help!!!

So i have order some supplies
1: Zoomed tortoise house
2: Powersun 100w bulb
3: cypress Mulch 24 quart
4: half log hide
5: water and food bowls
6: Zoomed grassland food
Do i need anything else?, the supplies are for a leopard tortoise or hermmans tortoise. What is your advise guys is this good???

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

Please can I recommend that you read the following before you buy anything else:

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann's Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Leopard Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

It is not simply a case of buying equipment and then choosing a tortoise to go with it.

If you have bought reptile bowls then I suggest you return them as they are a tipping hazard and hard for a tortoise to use.

A terracotta plant saucer makes a good safe water bowl. A piece of flat rock or slate makes a good food plate which also helps with keeping the beak in shape.

Thank you, i have done some research on their diets and all the care needs, and i would return the bowls for a better option.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The important thing to note is that the internet and many pet stores contain a wealth of outdated information.

These above guides are written by species experts working hard to get the most up to date information out there. If you haven't already, then please read them. They will save you a lot of time! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wish you had talked to us before you placed your order. The Zoo Med Tortoise House is only big enough for hatchling through one or two year olds, and the water and food bowls you buy from a pet store are only suitable for snakes and lizards. You should use a broken piece of concrete or a rough tile to feed on, and a clay plant saucer is ideal for the waterer.

What species of tortoise are you getting?

Welcome to the Forum! Be sure to read the pinned threads at the top of the species section of the kind you're getting.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :D

Please do not forget to post pics of your torts and enclosures.:tort:

I would upgrade the setup once the tortoise gets bigger, just planted some seed mix for grassland tortoise. And im thinking of getting a leopard tortoise form lllreptile, any suggestions of good places to buy a captive bread one???

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would upgrade the setup once the tortoise gets bigger, just planted some seed mix for grassland tortoise. And im thinking of getting a leopard tortoise form lllreptile, any suggestions of good places to buy a captive bread one???

Several members often have some in here. I am thinking Neal and Jodie off the top of my head. Maybe Yvonne and Will?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Several members often have some in here. I am thinking Neal and Jodie off the top of my head. Maybe Yvonne and Will?

Yes, we still have some available. Will sells them from his Facebook account - Kapidolo Farms

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
have you visited the Wanted and For Sale sections.?
There are breeders lists, too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...any suggestions of good places to buy a captive bread one???

BUY DIRECTLY FROM A BREEDER WHO STARTS THEM CORRECTLY!!!!!!!!

Read this to understand the nightmare that you will wish to avoid:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Then read this to learn how babies should be started:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

And finally, Joe's Mum linked you the correct care sheets earlier in this thread.

Armed with the above knowledge, you can buy from a good source and have a positive tortoise keeping experience and a healthy tortoise.
Jodie or Will are both great suggestions for a baby and both start their tortoise babies very well.