New to tortoises

Smoke-Town

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hi my name is Bill. I'm 34 from NY. I've been interested in owning a tortoise for a while now and figured now might be a good time to home in on what species would be right for me. I figured a tortoise forum would have plenty of opinions and information for me on that.

I've owned animals of every sort my whole life since I was a kid. But in the last decade I've had a couple Reef tanks that I maintained for 7 years and broke down and sold to move. I have a 9 year old beagle named Jack Daniels and an 8 month old Bangal cat named Bananas. I also have 2 crested geckos I got early 2014 from a local reptile expo. I'm also building a pretty unique vivarium for dwarf day geckos. Oh and I have 17 chickens. Organic eggs every day.
So anyway I have 1.5 acres. Good indoor and outdoor space. No chemicals in the yard or anything. I'd like a tortoise that reaches 20-30" shell length. A species less likely to trying to bite my dog or my toes as I'd like to let it be free in my house. Still looking into different species but the Burmese mountain tortoise cought my eye but I'm open to suggestions.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hi Bill and welcome to the forum!

So I live in a cold weather climate and have a tortoise but thankfully just a hatchling when I got him but if he was full grown, it would be really hard raising a tortoise that large in this kind of climate...it sounds like you have the room and do your research, are you looking to build a large indoor area that your tortoise can retreat into during the cold months of the year? It can definitely be done, just needs the proper care and attention!

I've had a Sulcata in Alaska for the past year but will be moving to Texas in a month, he's excited about the humidity and heat ;)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Many of us here are " animal people ". Seems tortoise care intrigues us.

The size you mentioned are attained only by the larger types. But because the get huge , they also need lots of room and crap like a cow.

I never had really the right environment for the big ones till I moved to Florida. However , we have many members raising Sulcata's even Aldabras in 3 season - cold snowy winter climates.

It takes conciderable work to do so , but they can guide you.

Just depends on you resounded & dedication. Myself I really enjoy Sulcata. They get big fast , are ( usually ) personable , & have a bold character.

This is the right place to learn.

Welcome.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Have a look at our species specific forums to see what suits your requirements and the enclosures section to get ideas of how to keep tortoises out of doors in your climate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Bill!

If you get a species that hibernates, you won't have to worry about keeping him warm in cold weather. Russians are a real good starter tortoise, and we have a nice care sheet here, pinned at the top of the Russian section.

Smoke-Town

NY
Thanks for the welcomes! I'm still at the beginning. The idea of a hibernating species isn't a bad idea but only if there are large species that hibernate... The Russian is so small that they are easy to keep warm indoors all winter so if it's going to be a small species I wouldn't want it to hibernate.

I also don't want something that craps like a cow so maybe I'm thinking too big and need something in the middle. I'd like something big enough to be free walking around my house and won't get lost but not something that I have to constantly clean up after.. I love the sulcatas but I think they're too large and I don't have the right climate and also I'd like something that also eats fruit so I can share with him.
Im Not worried about my beagle bothering the tortoise at all. I'm not a hunter and I've raised him to be docile and he is an old soul. He would never attack the tourtise or even waste any effort being interested in it. I don't trust the Bangal kitten but at worst she would annoy it and she'd be kicked out of the area.
I don't want anything young either. Definitely reaching out to adoption agencies and will be keeping my eye on the adoption forum here as well. I want to adopt and I want it to be something of decent age and size. I've owned an eastern box turtle many many years ago which was wild cought when they were more common in my area but they seem to be all but extinct now with our terrible environment. So I'm not a total stranger to keeping this type of creature. Mine lived for 6 years with a Solomon island monkey tail skink and also an iguana. They all were rehomed together to a reptile guy from the Bronx Zoo.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We don't encourage allowing the tortoise out of his indoor enclosure. Two reason - once he's allowed to understand that his walls are keeping him contained and that there's a big wide wonderful world out there, he'll always be restless and trying to escape. And secondly and most importantly - its so very easy for a tortoise to get into trouble on the floor in the house. We had one member whose little sulcata was walking around on the floor and just happened to have his head in behind a door when the person of the house shut the door, smashing his head and killing him. To say nothing about all the little objects on the floor he might ingest and get sick or blocked.

Maitaimommy

We don't encourage allowing the tortoise out of his indoor enclosure. Two reason - once he's allowed to understand that his walls are keeping him contained and that there's a big wide wonderful world out there, he'll always be restless and trying to escape. And secondly and most importantly - its so very easy for a tortoise to get into trouble on the floor in the house. We had one member whose little sulcata was walking around on the floor and just happened to have his head in behind a door when the person of the house shut the door, smashing his head and killing him. To say nothing about all the little objects on the floor he might ingest and get sick or blocked.

What other options do you have if you live in a small apartment? I moved recently but still don't have an excessive amount of space. My RT is able to go outside and play daily but inside I feel guilty leaving him trapped in a small enclosure for hours at a time. Keeping him confined seems cruel.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
What other options do you have if you live in a small apartment? I moved recently but still don't have an excessive amount of space. My RT is able to go outside and play daily but inside I feel guilty leaving him trapped in a small enclosure for hours at a time. Keeping him confined seems cruel.

Respectfully, if you don't have the space to adequately house a tortoise, you should not have one. Not housing your pet adequately is cruel, however good one's intentions.

That doesn't mean you can't live in an apartment and own a tortoise; you may have to do some maneuvering to make your space work. Difficult but not impossible.

Maitaimommy

Respectfully, if you don't have the space to adequately house a tortoise, you should not have one. Not housing your pet adequately is cruel, however good one's intentions.

That doesn't mean you can't live in an apartment and own a tortoise; you may have to do some maneuvering to make your space work. Difficult but not impossible.

I am far from cruel and my tort is very active and healthy. I believe the "perfect" arrangement would be an outdoor set up during the warm months and a nice indoor enclosure for the winter. I live in Maine and my options are limited. Life isn't perfect for people or animals. I asked this question not to be judged or criticized but to inquire what other options I may have for my indoor well cared for tort whom I love and plan on keeping. Thank you.

SteveW

I am far from cruel and my tort is very active and healthy. I believe the "perfect" arrangement would be an outdoor set up during the warm months and a nice indoor enclosure for the winter. I live in Maine and my options are limited. Life isn't perfect for people or animals. I asked this question not to be judged or criticized but to inquire what other options I may have for my indoor well cared for tort whom I love and plan on keeping. Thank you.

This is a great time of year to buy a kiddie pool on the cheap. Get one with high enough sides, add some landscaping and you have a decent play pen for when you're around and can supervise.

Maitaimommy

Thank you Steve W! It will be big enough for my russian and can fit on my sun porch! Great idea!