New to torts - are't they amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peg-N-OK

5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm Peggy and my husband is Eugene, we're in our 50's, we own 30 acres in the country in S.E. Oklahoma, and are very happy to have a (maybe) 7 year old, 7, 1/2 lb, 10" long Sulcata Tortoise join our family of two macaws, a quaker parrot, an amazon, two keets and two chihuahuas.
After discovering Sulcata Tortoises about a month ago, my husband and I did all the research, joined yahoo groups and started looking for a tort. After joining one of the groups, we received an email from someone offering one.
After all the prep inside and out for housing one, the arrangements were made to get the tort from mid Kansas, here, we picked him up last friday, March 9th.
We were so glad to find out this is an active, healthy, fun tort and after reading all about them, think it's a female, but as torts grow that tends to change, so we'll see.
Just happy to be here and have a Sulcata Tortoise in our life.
Peggy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Peggy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome! yes, they are awsome.. as you are finding out.. addicting too!
post pics when you can and we can tell you if its male or female..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! I am not sure if you have enough room for a sulcata. :( I mean 30 acres isn't much. :p :D Honestly it sounds like you have as much room as many of us can only dream about. :D How neat that somebody offered you one. What is it about the sulcata that drew you?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME:D. thirty acres, well you have lots of room for all those tortoises you will be getting. Oh, hasn't anyone told you yet? They are like Jays chips, you can't stop at one:p:D

Peg-N-OK

5 Year Member
Wow, what a warm welcome! Thank you.
- Jacque; "What is it about the sulcata that drew you?"
I guess at first it was the size. We didn't know you could have a tortoise that large. The more we read about them, the more we wanted one. We were concerned about the weather here but after talking to people in areas that have winter, we thought it was do'able. If everything works out, which, who knows, but maybe... we will be retiring to Puerto Rico where torts would enjoy staying out all year.
- I'm not quite sure how to post pictures here. Maybe I should upload to a page and post a link.
- As for the 30 acres, a lot of it's wooded but there are about 4 acres close to the house (and we mow about 9) we could have torts roam around on. Right now we have 2500sq ft 50'x50' for the tort we have, he/she spends hours walking the whole thing daily and grazing. The first day he went right to bed after bringing him in. He slept until about 8am the next morning. After being in all winter in Kansas I guess he was pooped! That was a lot of exercise for one day.
Peggy

Status
Not open for further replies.