New to torts.. sulcata advice?

Drekstopher

So this is my first ever tort. Advice on whether i should have two so this one doesn't get lonely? Also what do you think of this very temporary home for my hatchling. One light is 50w daylight exo terra basking bulb, other is 100w exo terra uvb bulb. Feeding spring mix greens for now, and using this large litter box with jungle mix (fir and saphange [sp?] Peat moss mix) substrate. Any advice would be appreciated

Also, i live in sarasota FL

20150702_234026.jpg 20150702_235348.jpg 20150702_234011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Tortoises are solitary and territorial. A 2nd one would need a separate enclosure. They don't get lonely. I am not sure, but if that UVB bulb is a coil type, get rid of it asap. They are know to cause eye problems. Use a Mercury Vapor Bulb or the tube type instead. He will outgrow this very quickly. A closed chamber allows much better control of temp and humidity. He needs hot and humid. FL probably provides some of this naturally I am guessing. That will make it easier.
Welcome to the forum. There is great info in the Sulcata section and the enclosure section.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435904440.203071.jpg
I only have one thing to say about a tort getting lonely !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435904542.333488.jpg
A pict is worth a 1000 words !

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do not think of getting your tort a friend. Torts are solitary creatures; in the wild they roam large distances, meet up to mate and move on. They don't want, need or like the company of other tortsin their territory. They don't get lonely and they don't want a friend.

Keeping pairs invariably results in mental or physical bullying which leads to the bullied tort becoming sick and possibly death. If you want a second tort, you must keep it entirely separately. More information http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

Also your small Sullie will grow into an enormous eating and pooping machine surprisingly quickly. It will need loads of space.. and will cause lots of chaos on its own. In a few years time, you will probably be grateful that you only have one that is wreaking havock in your back yard. Do google "tortforum Bob" and read a few of his adventures to see what I am talking about. He is something of a legend amongst sullies and reading about him is very educational!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your very beautiful new tortoise.
Take the advice given, read the care sheets, adjust and ask any questions that you may have.
You've come to the best possible place.