New to Turtles. Trying to find reputable shops and/or breeders. Is there a list?

stevehelium

Location (City and/or State)
Minneapolis, MN
Greetings. First post. Turtle Related.

TLDR: How can I find a reputable source for a new pet turtle for my family?

In the past, I have kept freshwater fish so, while not a professional with keeping aquatic critters, I do have some experience (filters, heaters, cleaning, water chemistry, etc.). My daughter (10) about two months ago decided she wants to get a turtle. We've done quite a bit of research - as much as a working father and grad student can do anyway! We've purchased a new 75-gallon tank after talking extensively with a local pet store gentleman (who has 15 years of turtle care under his belt and works at a shop that specializes in reptiles), a new Fluval filter, heater, etc. Hopefully, we haven't made any missteps yet. Bottom line, we're doing our best not to go into this blind. We know that these critters live long lives when properly cared for and we're excited to make that leap.

What I'm having a really hard time doing is finding an animal. One website will have a list of reputable shops or breeders, but then - as the internet is the internet - one searches for reviews of said store, and most are filled with horror stories. MyTurtleStore.com, for example, was on one of these lists and the reviews according to netizens seem to be that about 70% (I'm just guessing, but seemed pretty grim) of the animals arrive dead.

We're specifically looking for a Black Knobbed Map Turtle. These seem incredibly difficult to source and, even if I did find a shop that had them in stock, I don't appear to have a way to confirm that the shop is any good, i.e., takes care of their animals and cares about their customers. If we can't find this specific species, we're fine with a Mississippi Map Turtle or other species that doesn't get too large.

What I'm hoping I can get some information on is just where to really start looking to find a good source for live turtles. Once I work that out, I'm happy to work with a shop or breeder to find an animal that will suit our family.

Can anyone point me in a good direction?

Much appreciated!
- Stephen

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Welcome.

That does seem like a hard species to source. I have never heard of the store you linked.

Turtles and tortoises . com has them from time to time. I also do not know how reputable they are, but they advertise here on the forum. You may need to contact them to see if they have any eggs incubating or if they might hatch any in the August - September time frame.

Another species to consider is the spotted turtle. In addition to being a cool species, they stay small. @Markw84 breeds them I believe, so you would definitely get a healthy turtle.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Welcome.

That does seem like a hard species to source. I have never heard of the store you linked.

Turtles and tortoises . com has them from time to time. I also do not know how reputable they are, but they advertise here on the forum. You may need to contact them to see if they have any eggs incubating or if they might hatch any in the August - September time frame.

Another species to consider is the spotted turtle. In addition to being a cool species, they stay small. @Markw84 breeds them I believe, so you would definitely get a healthy turtle.
Yes I totally agree with the spotted turtle. I heard their full size is 5 inches. And if you want a cheaper one then look for a stinkpot musk turtle. (They dont stink much I own one and I dont smell a think. Ps. Maybe I'm just really use to it 😂) they also stay about 5 inches as adults. 😉

stevehelium

Minneapolis, MN
Thanks to both of you for your input!!!

I’m discussing options with my wife and daughter. The Turtle Source - any opinions there? They seem to have mostly positive reviews by netizens… they also actually got back to me (said they cannot sex Mississippi Map Turtle hatchlings).

Another question, if you don’t mind. I’ve heard that hatchlings are - perhaps - illegal to buy or sell? I checked local law (briefly) and can’t find mention of this. Certain species are illegal - mostly to release (obviously no plan to do that) because they’re invasive.

One more - how long does it take most species to reach full size?

I’m checking into the species you both mention. I mostly have to get “permission” from the females in my family.

Thanks again for you kind input!
- Stephen

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas

I’m discussing options with my wife and daughter. The Turtle Source - any opinions there? They seem to have mostly positive reviews by netizens… they also actually got back to me (said they cannot sex Mississippi Map Turtle hatchlings).

Another question, if you don’t mind. I’ve heard that hatchlings are - perhaps - illegal to buy or sell? I checked local law (briefly) and can’t find mention of this. Certain species are illegal - mostly to release (obviously no plan to do that) because they’re invasive.

I’m checking into the species you both mention. I mostly have to get “permission” from the females in my family.

- Stephen
Every animal grows at different rates. So we cant really help you with that. Also I heard its illegal to catch a map turtle and keep it. But I dont know about buying one.

stevehelium

Minneapolis, MN
Every animal grows at different rates. So we cant really help you with that. Also I heard its illegal to catch a map turtle and keep it. But I dont know about buying one.

That's a fair response. What I'm not able to find on the net is even an estimate. I suspected different species grow at different rates, but I also suspect that they don't become full size overnight - or take 20 years to reach their final size. My Google-fu is just not good enough to find the information! ;-)

My understanding is that it's illegal to take animals from the wild and, even if it was legal, it's really not a good idea for the turtle. We want to do things properly - get a health animal, care for it properly, and not upset the ecosystem at all.

Thanks!
- Stephen

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
That's a fair response. What I'm not able to find on the net is even an estimate. I suspected different species grow at different rates, but I also suspect that they don't become full size overnight - or take 20 years to reach their final size. My Google-fu is just not good enough to find the information! ;-)

My understanding is that it's illegal to take animals from the wild and, even if it was legal, it's really not a good idea for the turtle. We want to do things properly - get a health animal, care for it properly, and not upset the ecosystem at all.

Thanks!
- Stephen
I would guess they get full size in 5 years. And yes I agree I would never recommend catching a wild turtle/tortoise for a pet. And I do think it illegal to catch any animal from the wild and keep it as a pet.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM

- Stephen

What you are referring to is called the "four-inch law." It doesn't apply to hobbyists, so no need to worry about it. Sellers often put it in their ads nonetheless.

There is a vendor review section on the forum you can check out.