New to your Tortoise Forum Community

Jenny V

Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, Arizona
Hello. I ran across your forum while I was researching Leopard Tortoise care and safe plants/weeds. We just moved back to Arizona, we had been in Oregon for the last decade.

Yesterday we were given a 21 year old Leopard Tortoise, it's been rather chilly and rainy the last few days here, so as of now we have her walking around our kitchen & dining room while we try to plan the best way to keep her. Well, she walks around when she thinks no one is looking, if she sees us then she hides. My kids have named her Lumpy Space Princess.

We also own 2 Russian Tortoises. We've owned a female named Rocky for about a decade. But we just recently realized we'd been keeping her incorrectly (per pet shop advice) when we went to adopt another little male Russian from a tortoise rescue. The couple running the rescue were full of advice and were a god-send for our little Rocky. Once we changed her habitat and diet she's like a whole new tortoise...more social, active, and much better appetite. The little male Russian that we adopted from them several months ago is now known as BMO (sounds like "Beemo".) He's so fast, funny, curious and climbs everything.20150301_165444[1].jpg 20150125_123745[1].jpg 20150301_165444[1].jpg 20150125_123745[1].jpg 20150125_122456[1].jpg 20150301_165444[1].jpg 20150125_123745[1].jpg 20150125_122456[1].jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. Wow, somebody just gave you a tortoise? Final steps around 11 please don't keep your two Russians together, The mail will pester the female possibly to death. Of course, if you add a couple more females to the group that might help :) A lot of people have followed the pet store advice, it's really too bad. I know I did a lot of things wrong at first also. but we all just live and learn. and I'm sure your little tortoises much happier now. There are great people on this forum.

Jenny V

Tempe, Arizona
Wow, somebody just gave you a tortoise?

Well I actually bought & owned this Leopard for the first half of her life, then gave her to family when I moved to Oregon, and they just gave her back now that I'm back in Arizona.

...please don't keep your two Russians together, The mail will pester the female possibly to death.

Yes the tortoise rescue owners made this quite clear to me and made sure I set up TWO good, SEPARATE habitats before they would let me adopt from them. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That's great. you have quite the tortoise family now. What do you know about your new leopard tortoise? Where did he come from, why did they give him up?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jenny welcome to the TFO from Phx. AZ . Leopards rule ! Great looking torts !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenny, and welcome to the Forum!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here! ! !