New Tort Mom, here!

looovekimmie

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Hey, everyone! I recently became the mom of a month old (guestimation) sulcata tortoise. A friend of a friend had 13 new babies and had to re-home them. While I've read that it's much too early to tell the sex of our babe, we have named it Miles because when we go out in the yard, it travels EVERYWHERE! (Miles to go before it sleeps!) We live in Southwestern MS and I have been reading everything I can get my eyes on to ensure that I give Miles the healthiest, happiest life ever! A lot of my google searches lead me to this forum, so I decided I would just join it and by-pass the middle-google. Haha!

I look forward to learning from you all and reading about your own experiences!
-Kim

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome you are in the right place. Pics of Miles and the enclosure would be great!

looovekimmie

Mississippi
I am currently putting an enclosure together, so I will update with pictures, soon! I have been using a shallow tote up to today. I quickly learned that it was not going to cut it in the long run. While I know aquariums are not preferred, I have access to one and will be covering the sides so as to not upset my babe. As for Miles....yall....I have a problem. I can't NOT take pictures of that cutie!20190731_182403.jpeg20190731_181211.jpegIMG_20190728_213413_448.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome!
Miles is gorgeous - and if he turns out to be a she you could always change the name to Miley - after all s/he will eventually grow into your very own wrecking ball !

looovekimmie

Mississippi
It's pretty darn cute!! (But I may be partial....) I need to get one of those heating elements for night time, but as long as the light is on, the temp has gradient of about 95 on lighted end and about 78 on non-lighted end... I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be higher than that, from what I've read. However, as long as it stays closed, humidity is on point at 80%. Over night, without the light, the temp dropped down to between 65-70... so I think the heating element will pick that up.

My enclosure is definitely not as sophisticated as some of the ones I've seen, but if I can get the temp just right, I think it will be great until I can get something nice built!20190801_195744.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Do you have a digital temp gun? They are good for spot checking temps in different areas at tort level and more reliable than dial/scale type.
If you run the CHE through a thermostat that will keep the night temps even and switch on and off as needed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

Try to keep it warmer than that at night too. I keep all my babies 80-85F all the time day and night, with no hot side/cool side.

looovekimmie

Mississippi
I know it needs to be warmer than it is currently at night. I'm going to look into the thermostat also because I think that will make it much easier for regulating and it won't stress me out so much worrying that it's not right. I'm a helicopter mom. Lol

looovekimmie

Mississippi
Do you have a digital temp gun? They are good for spot checking temps in different areas at tort level and more reliable than dial/scale type.
If you run the CHE through a thermostat that will keep the night temps even and switch on and off as needed.
I do not have a temp gun, but I am going to be getting one. It didn't take me long to realize that either i need to line the whole enclosure with thermometers or I need an easier way to check the various areas. I understand that heat rises and I definitely want to make sure that the temp closer to the ground is correct.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's pretty darn cute!! (But I may be partial....) I need to get one of those heating elements for night time, but as long as the light is on, the temp has gradient of about 95 on lighted end and about 78 on non-lighted end... I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be higher than that, from what I've read. However, as long as it stays closed, humidity is on point at 80%. Over night, without the light, the temp dropped down to between 65-70... so I think the heating element will pick that up.

My enclosure is definitely not as sophisticated as some of the ones I've seen, but if I can get the temp just right, I think it will be great until I can get something nice built!View attachment 277772
There is nothing wrong with aquariums. That is an old myth. However, you need a much larger one.

The tortoise will eat the moss and is likely to become impacted. I'd remove it.

This species must have warm nights. You will be lucky if it doesn't get sick because of the cool nights. The enclosure should have been set up, tested, and adjusted before the baby came to live with you.

Looks like you've got coco coir for substrate. I don't like it because it is too messy, as I'm sure you've noticed by now. If you hand pack it down, it will help with the mess. Fine grade orchid bark works best.

Letting the baby roam loose in the yard is a recipe for disaster. Get a kiddie pool, add some substrate and hides, and make sure it stays at least half in the shade with hot summer temperatures outside. They only ned this outside time for an hour a few times a week at first. They can be outside longer and more often as they get bigger.

Here are two more threads to help explain more of this:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

looovekimmie

Mississippi
There is nothing wrong with aquariums. That is an old myth. However, you need a much larger one.

The tortoise will eat the moss and is likely to become impacted. I'd remove it.

This species must have warm nights. You will be lucky if it doesn't get sick because of the cool nights. The enclosure should have been set up, tested, and adjusted before the baby came to live with you.

Looks like you've got coco coir for substrate. I don't like it because it is too messy, as I'm sure you've noticed by now. If you hand pack it down, it will help with the mess. Fine grade orchid bark works best.

Letting the baby roam loose in the yard is a recipe for disaster. Get a kiddie pool, add some substrate and hides, and make sure it stays at least half in the shade with hot summer temperatures outside. They only ned this outside time for an hour a few times a week at first. They can be outside longer and more often as they get bigger.

Here are two more threads to help explain more of this:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Thanks for the info! I do not let Miles roam free in my yard without constant supervision. I am less than one foot away from it (on hands and knees usually) and my large animals are inside my house. I live out in the country and have no neighbor animals, either. We are outside for about an hour in the evening, plenty of shade and no direct sunlight. (I'm an AC hand, myself and I can't stand the direct sunlight for long, so I certainly wouldn't subject a baby tort to such misery.)

I did not know that about the moss, as I read that they could have it in moderation and had seen other enclosures with it in there. (Granted, that may have been strictly for older tortoises. It isn't much in there and it can be removed. I will do that this evening when I get home. I did hand pack the coco coir, but it is still quite messy.

My wife and I are currently making plans to build a much bigger enclosure. I have been reading your thread about closed chambers and have gotten amazing ideas and information. There was a miscommunication on the part of my wife and the friend who brought Miles to us, so we got him or her much earlier than I anticipated. I'm working as quickly as possible to get the enclosure just right! I worry about my baby all day while I'm at work and I'll be glad to get something perfect so that I know everything is just like it needs to be and I won't have to stress so much.

Thank you for the links! I will be going to mark those and read up on the info in them every chance I get!

Reactions: Tom