New Tort, need #new

KieranMcKeown

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Ireland
Hello everyone!

My name's Kieran from Northern Ireland and after years of research and want, I finally bought my first ever tortoise today!

It is a Hermann's tortoise and I named it Alaska after my favourite drag queen - as we can not tell if it's a he or she (hope you all appreciate what I did there!)

As delighted as I am with my new companion, I am I little concerned as I bought Alaska from a pet shop and had my time looking at all the tortoises and handling them, I did not realise how... Dry they all were? They were all brown with dust or something? And it's not until the staff member gave her a 2 second hose down that I realised she was so dirty.

It may have been on purpose however, because I didn't get a good look at Alaska between the time of the wash and boxing but once home I realised the shell was really dry? Like between the plates on the shell (I know the proper name - but it's not coming to me) it looks like there is a lot of dryness and possibly scabs - now reading stuff tonight I fear that it might be shell rot?

Alaska was in a small enclosure with two bigger tortoise and another the same size so I'm thinking this is maybe a battle wound or a bigger one was too rough with the smaller ones but I am really concerned because if the animals were that dry, they haven't been bathed in a while and Alaska could be very dehydraded?

When I took her home, she acted fine (even tho this was my first experience of this) but she eat a little food, took a walk around the table, checking out his new surroundings and went to sleep in her little enclosure.

Any advice right now would be great! This morning I thought I knew it all but now I'm just genuinely scared that she is really dehydrated, sick or wrose.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Daily or twice daily soakings in warm water, and a closed enclosure to keep the humidity and temp stable will give Alaska the best chance they have for growing up strong.

This site has lots of knowledgeable members and great information that will help you do the best job possible in taking care of your new tortoise.

Welcome and good luck!

Jamie

KieranMcKeown

Northern Ireland
Daily or twice daily soakings in warm water, and a closed enclosure to keep the humidity and temp stable will give Alaska the best chance they have for growing up strong.

This site has lots of knowledgeable members and great information that will help you do the best job possible in taking care of your new tortoise.

Welcome and good luck!

Jamie
Hey Jamie thanks for your reply! I hope I'm only over reacting and bathing Alaska daily will solve my problem ☺️

drew54

Indiana
Hey Jamie thanks for your reply! I hope I'm only over reacting and bathing Alaska daily will solve my problem [emoji5]

Your are most likely not over reacting as many pet shops and traditional breeders raise their torts dry. This causes dehydration and other issues. Could you post a pic of Alaska and your enclosure so we can better help you?

daniellenc

Maryland
Welcome and post pictures!! Also a dab of coconut oil on the shell rubbed in once a week after soaks will help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kieran, and welcome to the Forum!

We have a very good care sheet for the Hermanni species:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
(You can find it pinned at the top of our Hermanns section)

It's too bad the pet store was keeping the tortoises so dry, but you can go forward with better care and hopefully the tortoise will be ok. I'd love to see pictures. Once you get the tortoise cleaned up, you can paint the new growth (I'm guessing this is what you were thinking was scabbing) with either olive oil or coconut oil, allow it to absorb for a few minutes, then wipe it off with a clean cloth. You can do this daily until you start to see a difference in the texture of the new growth. (Were you looking for the word "scute"?)

KieranMcKeown

Northern Ireland
UPDATE:
Hey all! Thanks for your kind messages and advice.

I bathed Alaska this morning and I honestly think she has picked up a bit of life afterwards and I think she ate quite a bit today while I was gone which is reassuring as yesterday she just had a wee nibble and lost interest in food. She is now sleeping under a piece of wood - I was wanting to give her another soak but think I will let her be for the night.

As requested, here is a pic of her table - its basic enough with a ceramic feeding dish, shallow water bowl, a few bits of bark and wood for texture and a fake plant for a bit of beauty. I also have the bedding on wee hills and slopes to give Alaska a bit of variety throughout her day there is also a hide away at the side for if she wants darkness.

I will post a pic of her tomorrow guys as I can only see a leg and a bit of a shell myself at the moment

15432637110532101826469.jpg

KieranMcKeown

Northern Ireland

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

It's too bad the pet store was keeping the tortoises so dry, but you can go forward with better care and hopefully the tortoise will be ok. I'd love to see pictures. Once you get the tortoise cleaned up, you can paint the new growth (I'm guessing this is what you were thinking was scabbing) with either olive oil or coconut oil, allow it to absorb for a few minutes, then wipe it off with a clean cloth. You can do this daily until you start to see a difference in the texture of the new growth. (Were you looking for the word "scute"?)
Olive oil bought today! And yes it was scute but I created the post at 3am so I was too tired to think

KieranMcKeown

Northern Ireland
Your are most likely not over reacting as many pet shops and traditional breeders raise their torts dry. This causes dehydration and other issues. Could you post a pic of Alaska and your enclosure so we can better help you?
Hey Drew, pic of enclosure posted above :)

KieranMcKeown

Northern Ireland

Hey Yvonne thanks for the response!

I was wondering if you could tell me the best substance to use at the bottomed of Alaskas (Hermann) table? And as for heating/UV lighting, you haven't a link to buy one anywhere?

Also, can I have an opinion on heat maps?

I honestly think that the pet shop has set me up to fail - no way is the lamp sold to me emitting enough heat and there is definitely sand on her floor and a heat map under that. I read some forums on here saying that heat maps are a big no no, however it's where Alaska likes to bury herself (I think for the heat)

Earlier, she couldn't open her eyes but I read what you wrote on another post, and gave her a warm bath which helped but I do think she has gone off her food.

She seems a little lifeless the past couple of days and I feel like the lack of heat/ substance and the heat map all have a part to play in this and I really want help as I can't fail this little one.

Sorry if I sound silly asking all this but I just want to spend the money, get everything right and give Alaska a healthy life.

drew54

Indiana
Hey Yvonne thanks for the response!

I was wondering if you could tell me the best substance to use at the bottomed of Alaskas (Hermann) table? And as for heating/UV lighting, you haven't a link to buy one anywhere?

Also, can I have an opinion on heat maps?

I honestly think that the pet shop has set me up to fail - no way is the lamp sold to me emitting enough heat and there is definitely sand on her floor and a heat map under that. I read some forums on here saying that heat maps are a big no no, however it's where Alaska likes to bury herself (I think for the heat)

Earlier, she couldn't open her eyes but I read what you wrote on another post, and gave her a warm bath which helped but I do think she has gone off her food.

She seems a little lifeless the past couple of days and I feel like the lack of heat/ substance and the heat map all have a part to play in this and I really want help as I can't fail this little one.

Sorry if I sound silly asking all this but I just want to spend the money, get everything right and give Alaska a healthy life.

You definitely don't wnt to use a heat mat or heat rocks. Using them you run the risk of frying your little guy. Orchid bark, cypress bark, and coco coir are the best substrates. As I stated before you will wnt to change the substrate soon. The low temps could cause the tort to be less active and it's okay if they burrow. You will want to get a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat and get a higher wattage basking bulb if it's not reaching the right temps. What kind of uvb light are you using?

KieranMcKeown

Northern Ireland
You definitely don't wnt to use a heat mat or heat rocks. Using them you run the risk of frying your little guy. Orchid bark, cypress bark, and coco coir are the best substrates. As I stated before you will wnt to change the substrate soon. The low temps could cause the tort to be less active and it's okay if they burrow. You will want to get a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat and get a higher wattage basking bulb if it's not reaching the right temps. What kind of uvb light are you using?
I really don't know Drew - it's just the one the man threw in with the table and said that's all I needed. I admit I became very naive with excitement and wish I could turn back time.

The heat map is a very low temperature and I feel like it's best to keep it on until I get the proper temperature on the table?

What wattage of basking bulb would you recommend? I will post a pic of the light I got if that helps? :)

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Dia dhuit! And welcome to the Forum! I hope you'll post a photo of your wee tortoise soon. You've been given some great advice already and we will continue to help the best we can for your tortoise to be happy and healthy [emoji4]

KieranMcKeown

Northern Ireland
Dia dhuit! And welcome to the Forum! I hope you'll post a photo of your wee tortoise soon. You've been given some great advice already and we will continue to help the best we can for your tortoise to be happy and healthy [emoji4]
Hey Irish Kitty!

So glad I found this place, without the great people like yourself, I would be at a total loss!

Thank you for your comment - what type of tortoise do you have?

daniellenc

Maryland
You can plug a heat mat into your thermostat to prevent it from getting too hot so use away it's not a huge deal. There is debate how much actual heat it offers since their tummies are dense and heat mats do little to warm up ambient temps. But if your little guy is burying down to be near it chances are it is providing some heat.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Hey Irish Kitty!

So glad I found this place, without the great people like yourself, I would be at a total loss!

Thank you for your comment - what type of tortoise do you have?
I have a bunch of baby Greeks, different subspecies, that I'm raising to breed (the Greek tortoise will be my speciality). I also keep a group of Russians for breeding. Then a handful of different species that are just pets, they were my first tortoises that I had and raised. I have a website, www.sweetgreektorts.com, that I provide in-depth care for my baby Greeks. Feel free to check it out, as there may be some helpful information for little Alaska!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
One thing I have noticed on your enclosure. The substrate is awful dry. I believe it needs to be moist, and a closed chamber would do this guy much better. Closed chambers keep the heat and humidity in.