new tort not looking too good

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
GEDC0007 (2).JPGGEDC0008 (2).JPGGEDC0003 (2).JPGI saw a tortoise advertised and went to pick it up today,in the advert pics he looked a lot smaller and a lot healthier,when i brought him home and all he did was hiss,(which frightened the life out of me at first lol)but he seems to be calming down a bit now,any advice on what i can do about his shell which isn't pyramiding but looks as if the shutes are sinking in and look a bit damaged and his skin seems really dry,i gave him a long soak as soon as i got home and he's now starting to eat a bit,the owner said he was around 4-5 years,i've added a few pics

Last edited by a moderator:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Since tortoises really don't hiss, I think there's a pretty good chance the "hissing" sound you're hearing is just air being expelled suddenly when he withdraws into his shell because he's scared. I don't know enough about scutes to give any sort of opinion on yours, but I'm sure some more experienced people will chip in soon.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The scute you're speaking about is on the top of his carapace, correct? Can you get a better pic of that area? It looks to me, from what I can see, that it could have been a fungus at some point. I can't be sure until I see better pics. Btw, one eye looks like it could be swollen. Is it?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, I believe you have yourself a lovely, once wild, tort. I believe also that tort is well over the estimated age....and the spots on the shell that you mention look like prior bouts with shell rot....

How are you housing this tort now? I also believe that you will want to offer warm water soaks for this tort at least once a day for a couple of weeks to assure hydration is offered....

Beautiful tort for sure.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yes, I agree with Angela - probably wild caught and terrified. He does look dehydrated so keep soaking him. Give him some time and keep his area as quiet as possible while he adjusts. You should probably take him to the vet for a fecal check as well.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
554345_10151380395452044_497277057_n.jpg601254_10151380396207044_1794866690_n.jpg309837_10151380404767044_1707007249_n.jpg734735_10151380396697044_57770131_n.jpg
sibi said:
The scute you're speaking about is on the top of his carapace, correct? Can you get a better pic of that area? It looks to me, from what I can see, that it could have been a fungus at some point. I can't be sure until I see better pics. Btw, one eye looks like it could be swollen. Is it?

uploaded more pics hope these 1's are better(not very good with a camera) one eye does look a bit swollen and he doesn't seem to be blinking with that eye,his back looks as if it's been banged with something,when you go near him he's actually jumping with fright,but when you leave him alone he's running around his table,can't believe how fast he can run

kimber_lee_314 said:
Yes, I agree with Angela - probably wild caught and terrified. He does look dehydrated so keep soaking him. Give him some time and keep his area as quiet as possible while he adjusts. You should probably take him to the vet for a fecal check as well.
I live in the UK and there's no wild tortoises here
don't know if he was wild at 1 time,but these tortoises are so cheap here now i don't think they'd be top of the list when it came to smuggling

Last edited by a moderator:

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Yeah, you will want to soak everyday in my opinion. Also whe I got Ophelia she had a couple spots that were like sunken in, but for her it was a case of a very bad diet. Her spots look much better now. Give your new kid time, I am sure he will come around at some point. And make sure you give him a proper diet. Good luck with your new kid'o!

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Moozilion said:
Since tortoises really don't hiss, I think there's a pretty good chance the "hissing" sound you're hearing is just air being expelled suddenly when he withdraws into his shell because he's scared. I don't know enough about scutes to give any sort of opinion on yours, but I'm sure some more experienced people will chip in soon.

last time he hissed i saw that it was his head going in the shell,so relieved,the thought of him hissing was freaking me out a bit lol

ascott said:
Well, I believe you have yourself a lovely, once wild, tort. I believe also that tort is well over the estimated age....and the spots on the shell that you mention look like prior bouts with shell rot....

How are you housing this tort now? I also believe that you will want to offer warm water soaks for this tort at least once a day for a couple of weeks to assure hydration is offered....

Beautiful tort for sure.

yes he is beautiful,i think his beak needs trimming,i gave him a good soak as soon as i got him home,and i always soak them everyday,i'll take him to the vets in the morning and get him checked out and his beak trimmed

cemmons12 said:
Yeah, you will want to soak everyday in my opinion. Also whe I got Ophelia she had a couple spots that were like sunken in, but for her it was a case of a very bad diet. Her spots look much better now. Give your new kid time, I am sure he will come around at some point. And make sure you give him a proper diet. Good luck with your new kid'o!
he had a good soak when i brought him home so he actually looks better in the pics than he first did,i was going to bathe his face but he seemed to scared,he has ate quite a lot,gonna take him to the vets tomorrow for a makeover lol

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
He should settle down when he gets used to you. A lot of times when startled or upset, they do suck in and make a hiss noise from exhaling.

Definitely looks like a bit of shell rot that happened quite a while ago...Looks like it's fine now, just a bit dry.

Give 'em some good soaks, and time to warm up to you.

Beak looks a lil' on the pointy side, might need to have it taken care of, but it's very fast and easy to have done, and not painful at all the the tortoise. :]

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Nixxy said:
He should settle down when he gets used to you. A lot of times when startled or upset, they do suck in and make a hiss noise from exhaling.

Definitely looks like a bit of shell rot that happened quite a while ago...Looks like it's fine now, just a bit dry.

Give 'em some good soaks, and time to warm up to you.

Beak looks a lil' on the pointy side, might need to have it taken care of, but it's very fast and easy to have done, and not painful at all the the tortoise. :]

vets is opening in a couple of hours so i'm taking him down then,stayed up with last night as he was really nervous and he's slept all night lol

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
just let him settle.. don't pester or hover too much. we are large scary predators to them... they need to learn that we won't hurt them..
what are you feeding? keeping him nice and warm?

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Laura said:
just let him settle.. don't pester or hover too much. we are large scary predators to them... they need to learn that we won't hurt them..
what are you feeding? keeping him nice and warm?

he ate a load of leaves,(lambs lettuce, kale,butterhead,rocket,and some other leaves)

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
You also need to make sure you have a heat light and a uvb light. They need that. You need to create a microclimate, hot on one side cool on the other. And you dont need to worry about keep lights on at night. Some people think you need to get a red night heat light it is not necery. Also feed him on a flat rock it will help keep the beak trim. And like Pepsiandjac said look dont touch... Give your tort plenty time to get used to you. About a month to give him time to feel safe. Them slowly start to handle him more and more. Eventually he will stop hissing and trying to get away from you.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
jeninak907 said:
You also need to make sure you have a heat light and a uvb light. They need that. You need to create a microclimate, hot on one side cool on the other. And you dont need to worry about keep lights on at night. Some people think you need to get a red night heat light it is not necery. Also feed him on a flat rock it will help keep the beak trim. And like Pepsiandjac said look dont touch... Give your tort plenty time to get used to you. About a month to give him time to feel safe. Them slowly start to handle him more and more. Eventually he will stop hissing and trying to get away from you.

he's got all the lights and his food is on a slate tile,i'm just a born worrier lol

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
pepsiandjac said:
jeninak907 said:

he's got all the lights and his food is on a slate tile,i'm just a born worrier lol
Oh, ok good then :D

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
I phoned the vets this morning to see if the reptile vet was there today and was told yes,goes all the way down on the bus(it actually took 4 minutes)to be told the reptile vet wouldn't be in until Tuesday,do i want to see someone else,so i brought him home and will go back down Tueday

tickle

5 Year Member
Go and get zoo med reptile eye drops for that eye also get the liguid spray vitamins for his food he probably lacking vitamins especially vitamin A.or he has a eye infection so vitamins cant hurt.he also needs a vet.the guy who sold him to you should be ashamed of him self.he will need allot of tlc but can make it and live a full life.I will tell you one thing that is verry important"stress kills!"

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
tickle said:
Go and get zoo med reptile eye drops for that eye also get the liguid spray vitamins for his food he probably lacking vitamins especially vitamin A.or he has a eye infection so vitamins cant hurt.he also needs a vet.the guy who sold him to you should be ashamed of him self.he will need allot of tlc but can make it and live a full life.I will tell you one thing that is verry important"stress kills!"

he's looking a lot better today,his eye is looking better and he has started blinking with it but i think he has something in it ,i don't think he'll let me bathe it because he's still very nervous and jumpy,and i'm worried about stressing him,i don't think he's ever been soaked before because hes terrified of the water and runs around on the tips of his claws,so i'm just soaking him twice a day and spraying him every so often,the skin on his head is so dry that when his head goes in his shell it sorta gets stuck and he has to push hard and then it pops out,would it be ok to rub a bit of baby oil on rim of his shell to see if that helps

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
tickle said:

he's looking a lot better today,his eye is looking better and he has started blinking with it but i think he has something in it ,i don't think he'll let me bathe it because he's still very nervous and jumpy,and i'm worried about stressing him,i don't think he's ever been soaked before because hes terrified of the water and runs around on the tips of his claws,so i'm just soaking him twice a day and spraying him every so often,the skin on his head is so dry that when his head goes in his shell it sorta gets stuck and he has to push hard and then it pops out,would it be ok to rub a bit of baby oil on rim of his shell to see if that helps
67005_10151382389707044_1511295427_n.jpg

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Congrats on your new tortoise! Russian tortoises are just so fun.
Looking at the pics, his beak actually looks fine. He has a cute little face.

I agree with others that there is some shell rot (the white spots). It's hard to tell if it is old rot, or still active... Until you know if the shell rot is still active, you do NOT want to put anything like oil onto his shell - that could seal in bacteria or fungus. You might get some iodine tincture and paint some diluted solution of that onto the 'white' looking areas 2x about a week apart. That will kill any active shell rot. A little of the iodine gets absorbed into the blood, so the urates (white 'pee' stuff) may look brown after that for a time or two.

You probably should get rid of the pellet food. It is not formulated properly for Russian tortoises, and will cause more problems than good. Just stick to dark leafy greens. There is a good list of edible plants at www.russiantortoise.net, as well as a care sheet.

pepsiandjac said:
tickle said:

67005_10151382389707044_1511295427_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.