Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
pepsiandjac said:
tickle said:
Go and get zoo med reptile eye drops for that eye also get the liguid spray vitamins for his food he probably lacking vitamins especially vitamin A.or he has a eye infection so vitamins cant hurt.he also needs a vet.the guy who sold him to you should be ashamed of him self.he will need allot of tlc but can make it and live a full life.I will tell you one thing that is verry important"stress kills!"

he's looking a lot better today,his eye is looking better and he has started blinking with it but i think he has something in it ,i don't think he'll let me bathe it because he's still very nervous and jumpy,and i'm worried about stressing him,i don't think he's ever been soaked before because hes terrified of the water and runs around on the tips of his claws,so i'm just soaking him twice a day and spraying him every so often,the skin on his head is so dry that when his head goes in his shell it sorta gets stuck and he has to push hard and then it pops out,would it be ok to rub a bit of baby oil on rim of his shell to see if that helps
67005_10151382389707044_1511295427_n.jpg

He is a cutey

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
biochemnerd808 said:
I believe biochemnerd is giving you some great advice. That's the way I've taken care of shell rot/fungus with my turtle's shell. Also, have the vet check that eye. Perhaps, if you have a dropper, you can put some of that solution or even warm water and squirt some into the affected eye. Your tort isn't going to like it, but you'll have to kind of sneak up on him to do it. Please keep us posted on his condition. I just love your tort!

Congrats on your new tortoise! Russian tortoises are just so fun.
Looking at the pics, his beak actually looks fine. He has a cute little face.

I agree with others that there is some shell rot (the white spots). It's hard to tell if it is old rot, or still active... Until you know if the shell rot is still active, you do NOT want to put anything like oil onto his shell - that could seal in bacteria or fungus. You might get some iodine tincture and paint some diluted solution of that onto the 'white' looking areas 2x about a week apart. That will kill any active shell rot. A little of the iodine gets absorbed into the blood, so the urates (white 'pee' stuff) may look brown after that for a time or two.

You probably should get rid of the pellet food. It is not formulated properly for Russian tortoises, and will cause more problems than good. Just stick to dark leafy greens. There is a good list of edible plants at www.russiantortoise.net, as well as a care sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.