New tort owner need advice.

Ernestralph

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi there. I've recently got a three year old Hermans tortoise. I've had him for 2 days now and he still hasn't eaten anything. I'm guessing it's because he's getting used to the new surroundings. He was in a vivarium, but I've since upgraded him to a 3ft cage. I'm hoping it's beacuse it's all new to him. But advice is welcome :) thank you.
vD3T7yB

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi there. I've recently got a three year old Hermans tortoise. I've had him for 2 days now and he still hasn't eaten anything. I'm guessing it's because he's getting used to the new surroundings. He was in a vivarium, but I've since upgraded him to a 3ft cage. I'm hoping it's beacuse it's all new to him. But advice is welcome :) thank you.
vD3T7yB
Hello. It really does take a few days for the little animal to adjust and acclimate. There's so much information on tortoise forum in the meantime.I'm sure you'll be getting some tips soon.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Welcome to the forum! I agree that he is probably just settling in but to make sure he will start eating soon you should check your temperatures. They won't eat if they aren't warm enough. If you don't already have them get a digital temp gauge and temperature gun. Then you can check your temps against the one on this caresheet:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

And here is another good thread to check your care:

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

It doesn't look like you have a UVB light so read about that in the caresheet. Also consider a larger enclosure, that one is small for your guy even if it is an upgrade from the vivarium.

Have fun getting to know your new tort!

Ernestralph

United Kingdom
Thank you both for the replies. I think its a combination of a new environment and feeling a little cold. If he was a viv he probably hasn't felt much gradient in temp yet. It is pretty cold in the UK now. Maybe I'll get a stronger basking bulb. It's only 50w the one I have at the moment. There is a UBV it just wasn't on yet. I time them to come on from 7am until 7pm. I just don't want him to hibernate yet as I wanted to wait a year until he's got an established routine, also the previous owner said hes never hibernated.

Ernestralph

United Kingdom
Here is the UBV :) if he's still sleeping in the morning shall I move him and place him under the heat lamp. Or is that a bad idea?

Attachments

• IMG_20190119_074855_1.jpg
    IMG_20190119_074855_1.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 28

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Yes you're right... it's probably too cold but you definitely want to get a temp gun and thermometer to dial in the temperatures. Too hot is a problem also.
A regular incandescent flood light from a hardware store will work well and is inexpensive.
Unfortunately the UVB bulb you have is problematic. Even though those are sold specifically for reptiles they cause eye problems in tortoises. I would change that out for a fluorescent tube style UVB bulb. I like a brand called Arcadia but there are other good ones too.
I wouldn't move him yet. Especially if it's not warm enough under your lamp. Get that sorted and give him a few more days and he'll get brave and find the basking spot on his own. It's tough for a new owner to resist interacting with a new tortoise but it will help him feel comfortable faster if he is alone and not being handled.

Ernestralph

United Kingdom
vD3T7yB
Thank you for this. Is this a better light option? https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/ar...bG_d_sgm9WpTmNNZqnirdlf9S2ysX3EhoCkFsQAvD_BwE

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Some people like the all-in-one bulbs and some don't. The problem with them is that a UVB light needs to be quite close to a tortoise to be effective (about 12 inches) but a basking light should be raised or lowered in order to create the proper temperature under it (35c-38c). So sometimes maximizing uvb exposure while getting the basking spot at the right temperature is tricky.

My personal preference is a basking bulbs like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HJ73PO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And UVB like this:
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store...3EufW5QcJxPryhCF67kaylSjJAtFQcJRoCrjAQAvD_BwE

But one thing about the UVB.. there are HO (high output bulbs) and regular. They come in 2 different sizes (girth) bulbs called T5 and T8. If you get a regular one it should be about 12 inches from the substrate but an HO bulb goes higher.

I recommend spending a little time looking at the lighting section of the forum. You'll find better info there than I can give you. Some members have gotten very technical with lighting!

Ernestralph

United Kingdom
Some people like the all-in-one bulbs and some don't. The problem with them is that a UVB light needs to be quite close to a tortoise to be effective (about 12 inches) but a basking light should be raised or lowered in order to create the proper temperature under it (35c-38c). So sometimes maximizing uvb exposure while getting the basking spot at the right temperature is tricky.

My personal preference is a basking bulbs like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HJ73PO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And UVB like this:
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store...3EufW5QcJxPryhCF67kaylSjJAtFQcJRoCrjAQAvD_BwE

But one thing about the UVB.. there are HO (high output bulbs) and regular. They come in 2 different sizes (girth) bulbs called T5 and T8. If you get a regular one it should be about 12 inches from the substrate but an HO bulb goes higher.

I recommend spending a little time looking at the lighting section of the forum. You'll find better info there than I can give you. Some members have gotten very technical with lighting!
Thank you, I will do. I'm hoping it's all positioned high enough from the tortoise. They come on a 7am-7pm. Then the heat lamp comes on again from 1am - 4am to prevent it getting too cold. My room is around 15 degrees centigrade at the moment. It's cold in the winter here.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I've added extras and bought new lighting.
Oops I was writing my last post while you were sending yours I guess.

The digital temp gauge looks good. Maybe you could bury the cord to keep him from messing with it.

Unfortunately those red lights come with another problem... they make the substrate look red which is a favorite color to eat (they love to eat flowers). Sorry

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Also the light at night is disruptive to their sleep. A better way to heat at night is a che (ceramic heat admitted) like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075XJXPGC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I'm sorry you have all this equipment that isn't right... you are not alone. Most of us forum members went through this buying the wrong stuff and spending time and money redoing our enclosures. It's frustrating at first but so worth it once it is complete and you have a happy, healthy tort.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Oh another quick tip.. the clamp on those light fixtures has been known to fail sometimes injuring torts or even causing fires so it's a good idea to secure the lamp another way. I still us the clamp but also use some wire as a backup. Some people remove the clamp all together.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Also the light at night is disruptive to their sleep. A better way to heat at night is a che (ceramic heat admitted) like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075XJXPGC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I'm sorry you have all this equipment that isn't right... you are not alone. Most of us forum members went through this buying the wrong stuff and spending time and money redoing our enclosures. It's frustrating at first but so worth it once it is complete and you have a happy, healthy tort.
And then you have stuff for baby babies...