New Tort Parent | Red foot hatchling

obiwantortellini

Location (City and/or State)
North Charleston, SC
Just have a few questions, we are about to get our obi (red foot hatchling) and I can’t seem to figure out how the uvb and basking lights would work, are they always going to be on? If not then which one should we turn off and when?

We will be keeping obi in our living room will that be okay temperature wise/noise wise. Our apartment isn’t that big but we don’t have a lot of furniture so there’s only a few places we can put him in. It’s a hatchling so we want it indoors for now and move it outdoors after a year.

Thank you for all of your help, I’ve been researching for over a year but any tips and tricks are still welcome!!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Just have a few questions, we are about to get our obi (red foot hatchling) and I can’t seem to figure out how the uvb and basking lights would work, are they always going to be on? If not then which one should we turn off and when?

We will be keeping obi in our living room will that be okay temperature wise/noise wise. Our apartment isn’t that big but we don’t have a lot of furniture so there’s only a few places we can put him in. It’s a hatchling so we want it indoors for now and move it outdoors after a year.

Thank you for all of your help, I’ve been researching for over a year but any tips and tricks are still welcome!!
@ZEROPILOT is the person that can really help here. Enjoy your your new edition!

Shaybe13

Roanoke, VA
Hi there! I am also a fairly new redfoot tort parent, but I can let you know what has worked for me.

As far as UVB exposure, you're going to hear different things from different members. From everything I've researched, redfoots don't need near as much UVB exposure as other torts. Mine only gets 4 hours in the morning, and then I take him outside once a week.

As for my head source, don't worry about an actual basking lamp. The temperature is harder to maintain and the bright light can actually cause vision problems. I have a CHE that is on a temperature regulated thermostat (one I purchased for about $20 on amazon).

Both of my heat/light sources are on a timed power strip, an absolute godsend. I would highly recommend getting one of those as well. They're fairly inexpensive and make your life so much easier!

obiwantortellini

North Charleston, SC
hi! thank you, can you link me the thermostat? i have no idea how to set one up. so i technically only need a che and uvb? i bought a 100w che and a lamp off of amazon that’s compatible. thank you!!!

Shaybe13

Roanoke, VA
hi! thank you, can you link me the thermostat? i have no idea how to set one up. so i technically only need a che and uvb? i bought a 100w che and a lamp off of amazon that’s compatible. thank you!!!
Here is the thermostat that I use. The CHE will plug directly into it and you can set the temperature to whatever you'd like his enclosure to be. Mine is at 86 degrees and he has a cooler side if he gets too hot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-053426.png
    Screenshot_20210503-053426.png
    235.5 KB · Views: 2

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The CHE can stay hooked to the thermostat so that it can maintain the correct temperature 24/7 (80 to 86)
The strip florescent T5 UVB 5.0 should provide artificial daytime light for 12 hours a day.
You do not need or want a basking light.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
thank you! i cannot seem to find a strip that has 5.0 :( only 10.0, contacted LLL but it’s been 2 days and haven’t heard back from them yet
You can use a 10.0 but youd need to mount it considerably higher/farther away to get the correct UVB.
Probably about 20"

obiwantortellini

North Charleston, SC
You can use a 10.0 but youd need to mount it considerably higher/farther away to get the correct UVB.
Probably about 20"
okay thank you, i’m hoping i can get the 5.0 soon, for the 5.0 i can just put it on top of my mesh screen? i have a temporary 20 gal tank right now for it. i will be covering half of it with aluminum foil to retain humidity

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes.
As mentioned previously. A T5 5.0 at that short height IS INDEED powerful enough for a Redfoot...Even broadcasting through a screen top.
Redfoot are now thought to require slightly less UVB than some other species. And it is my opinion that in that enclosure the level will be adequate.
You can also use outdoors sunshine for a few hours per week in place of that UVB light. And just use a standard florescent or LED bulb for lighting along with your thermostat controlled CHE.
(I reccomend an LED or florescent light source because they don't make much extra heat)
It gives you an option. But requires you to spend some supervised time with your tort outside every few days.
okay thank you, i’m hoping i can get the 5.0 soon, for the 5.0 i can just put it on top of my mesh screen? i have a temporary 20 gal tank right now for it. i will be covering half of it with aluminum foil to retain humidity