new tortise mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

tillysmom

5 Year Member
Hello my name is mandy and I have adopted a 10 year old elongated tortoise. We've had her about 6 months. She's gained 2 pounds. My husband built her a enclosure but we also let her roam around the house 2 ge exercise. She's been the sweetest thing. But recently she's started chasing every1 around and ramming our feet! What's this all about?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi Mandy! Welcome to the forum. She gained two pounds in only six months, wow has she really grown or was she way under weight when you got her or some of both? As to the chasing you... first off are you sure you have a female? Next would be are you hand feeding her? If she is really a female and is not being hand feed, then I think you have a female showing a bit of dominance. Those actions you mentioned are normally either dominance or prebreeding behavior.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mandy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Since you've allowed the tortoise to have the whole house, it is now telling you that its time for you to get out of his/her territory. That's aggression you're witnessing.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Id build her a bigger enclosure.. space for herself and not let her roam the house. aggression can get them into trouble, and its not funny when the ramming wont stop or she hurts herself.
At least she isnt a Sulcata!

tillysmom

5 Year Member
Yes she was very under weight when I got her and she lived in a 30 gallon tank she couldn't evn turn around in and they were only feeding her romaine lettuce. I only let her out 4 excersize. She has a big box my husband built 4 her. No I dnt hand feed her she wnt take it. Will she stop this behavior? Is she unhappy?

Status
Not open for further replies.