"NEW" Tortle Habittarium ******PICS******

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Well its new to you guys. I finished this about 6 months ago buy never found the time to share until today.

The plan was to make two large tables for two large tort boxes. I ended up building and priming the tables and finishing only one box before I had to move to my new place.

IMAG0283_zps58a1f00d.jpg

IMAG0290_zpsfb5ad405.jpg

IMAG0289_zps03bdffff.jpg

The floor and the first seven or so inches of the insider perimeter of the box is varnished with two coats of fiber glass resin. From there up I used 4 coats of spar urithane.
IMAG0293_zpsec39ce7a.jpg

I added a lofty humid hide which doubles as a "hood" which makes for a shady area ideal for cooling down.
IMAG0313_zpsa943d85d.jpg

IMAG0316_zpsa33e3065.jpg

IMAG0315_zps2749223c.jpg

IMAG0317_zps2a4a11ef.jpg

NewEnclosure003_zps07ae3816.jpg

NewEnclosure002_zps634f9e54.jpg

IMAG0297_zpsd75050bd.jpg

Finished Product. You'll notice I brought in the 1/8in acrylic doors.
NewEnclosure009_zps38027f97.jpg

If you look close you'll see that I remade the ramp because the old ramp did not provide proper traction for tort feet. I had to cut the channels wider and deeper. I also added a rail which most of my torts respect, except for atticus, who likes to grind down it. :D
NewEnclosure010_zps2af3cabf.jpg

I had to improvise a larger enclosure for Koopa and Turty so I used some plastic IKEA storage tubs. I had to cut them up as you can see. Their old log hide acts as a bridge between the two containers.
NewEnclosure006_zps4e685c92.jpg

NewEnclosure005_zpsafea4880.jpg

NewEnclosure004_zps0f97aae8.jpg

IMAG0326_zps1d6cf51c.jpg

IMAG0330_zpsf8f9c8eb.jpg

NewEnclosure011_zps5b3f1c94.jpg

The dimensions are very close to 5ftx2ftx3ft. I made it tall so that I could use a "closed chamber" (helps with the humidity). This means leaving enough room for the light fixtures and room for the torts to grow into it. There is about 7in of bioactive substrate in there with all kinds of creatures. Isopods, centipedes, night crawlers, and a lot of ity-bity spiderlooking things. The lower enclosure has isopods.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
RE: "NEW" Tortle Habittarium ******PICS******

Nice set up. I like it. Toetoises will enjoy it. The ramp looked steep at first but with a little getting use to it would work. Let us know how they use it it and like it. Never built a ramp in an enclosure... Yet.. Lol

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
My torts love the ramp. Espesialy my two redfoots. They run up and down the ramp all day because its so moist up there. There is a "heavy" piece of wood up there which they love to wedge themselves under and use it to dig in.

Only one of my leopards liked to go up there from time to time. He never dug himself in he just used it as a place to relax. My other leopard only went one there 2 or 3 times that I saw.

They all loved to wedge themselves under the ramp tho. Thats why added two large rocks there, so they didn't dislodge the ramp.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Is the lights over the ramp? Looks like from the pics that they have to be on the ramp to bask. Really nice looking enclosure.

Never mind I went back and looked again and saw the really sweet basking rock with the lights over top.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
RE: "NEW" Tortle Habittarium ******PICS******

WOW!!! Great enclosure! I may steal your plan for Elsa's winter enclosure next year.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
I'm glad you guys like my little set up. Its not actually "done" yet. there is still a lot of tweeks that need to be made. I plan on adding a small tube bulb also. I still need to work out the right combination of heat emitters and light bulbs to use. I will say however that the "closed chamber" works great for keeping the humidity up when compared to an open system.

Status
Not open for further replies.