New Tortois Mom seeking advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoagy

5 Year Member
Hello, after months of research and consideration "Santa" brought our family a yearling Russian Tortoise. He is beautiful and is captivity bred and showed a lot of personality from the day we got him. Mid January he seemed to slow down a lot and would hide and burrow. I honestly think we had his habitat too warm, now we are measuring the temperature in there much better and we maintain about 80-85 degrees with his light on and about 78 when the heat pad is on at night. He has the proper lighting and substrate. We didn't mess with him too much the last six weeks, just made food available, would mist the substrate, and we took him to the vet where he got a clean bill of health. My concern is he is still not doing much. He does not appear to be eating and when he is moving around ( once evey couple days ) he is not opening his eyes. Should I be concerned? Is he hibernating? I have not noticed any bowel movements. I have read several books on the Russian tortoise and it's care but get conflicting information. I would appreciate any advice! We love Hoagy and want him to be a happy healthy guy!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Are you soaking him? Can you also take him outside for any time in the sun? You might also want to try raising the temps a little higher for now (90-95) and see if that helps. Do you have his lights on for about 12 hours a day?

Hoagy

5 Year Member
Yes, light is on 12hours. We have been soaking him, most recently last night. He's been outside a couple times and we will get him out today, it's nice and sunny!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

For your tort to be active you need to create temperatures and lighting like a long warm summer's day. That said, activity underground is normal for Russians, they're great diggers in the wild.

You need to have lighting on for 12-14 hours per day and your tort will need a UVB lamp as well as heat if it's kept entirely indoors.

You should have a temperature of roughly 35C (95F) under the heat lamp with cool end temperatures by day of roughly what you have already described. the basking temperature is really important for digestion as tortoises can't make their own heat.

At night, it is important that the temperature does not drop back too far. If the general ambient temp is 75F that should be OK.

A daily soak for an inactive tort is also a good idea. they can survive for ages not eating properly, but they must stay hydrated. Torts may drink when they're soaked, but will also absorb water through the skin.

My tips for soaking are:
1. Soak your tort first thing in the morning before he's warmed up properly... he's less likely to attempt escape.
2. Soak at roughly the same time each day as it helps to establish a routine which will help your tort to settle in more quickly.
3. Use a bowl or plastic box with sides high enough to stop your tort seeing out or clambering out. A cheap washing up bowl is ideal.
4. Put enough warm (not hot) water in the box to come up over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and you're not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and enjoy!
5. Soak for a good 20 minutes
6. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water. They don't always, but if he does it is more likely to concern you than your tort. Change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't be concerned if your tort eats his poop; it's said to help with gut flora!
7. Feed your tort straight after his bath. Again it establishes routine, but also they seem to want to eat after they've soaked and toileted!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hoagy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know appx where in the world you are?

I know this is contrary to what the others have told you...they're not wrong, as there really is no right/wrong, but in my opinion, you need a bigger indoor habitat so that you can make it warm on one end and a little cooler on the other end. Russian tortoises get by in slightly cooler temps than most other tortoises, and in my opinion, you've been keeping your little guy too warm. So, if you can fix it so that the temp directly under the light, which is positioned at one end, is 100F or so, then that fades down to about 75 on the opposite end, I think it would be more comfy for the tortoise.

But now you need to intervene and get this guy's eyes opened. Soak him in warm water every morning. To the water add a jar of Gerber strained carrots. Leave him in the water for at least a half hour, but make sure he doesn't tip over and drown. I like to position a lamp over one end of the soaking tub so it stays a bit warm. Then you can rinse him off and place him back in his habitat. If his eyes have opened, you place him in front of the food.

Good luck and please keep us in the loop.

Hoagy

5 Year Member
Wow, what great advice, thank you all. We are using a Zoo Med power sun UVA/UVB heat lamp. Temp is 75 at one end of the habitat - pretty constant, and varies 85-90 on the other side when lamp is on. I so appreciate the feedback. Hoagy has become part of the family and we want to be sure we are doing all we can. We soaked him for about ten minutes this morning. Well get him on a regular soaking routine!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you lower you bulb just a bit you should be able to get your basking temp to right around 100. This will get him a bit more active and allow his digestive and other bodily systems to work more efficiently. He will still have the cooler side to retreat to when he feels warm enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.