New tortoise and need some advice!

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I brought home my new tortoise last night and although the staff at the pet store was very friendly and helped me get everything they seemed to think he needed, upon bringing him home and putting him in his enclosure he has gone straight underneath his tunnel and has not come out (should be noted he was impressively active at the store and all the way home in his carrying case). Is this normal? They told me he could be stressed his first couple days in a new place but given his wild personality at the store in contrast to his hiding here I’m slightly concerned…

Also, staff at the store told me I just needed a “heat lamp” for him and he should stay between 72-95 degrees. I asked her if the one I have used in raising my chickens would be sufficient and she said it would (red light bulb, approx 78-95 degrees). I’m now seeing via forums here that he should be under a uvb light and also a ceramic heating bulb??? I want to make sure I’m not putting him in distress or keeping him at a harmful temperature so would appreciate any recommendations or advice on how to make him as happy and comfortable as can be!

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
1st off what type of tortoise? But yes pretty much every species of Tortoise with perhaps a few exceptions absolutely need UVB and supplemental heat. Red bulbs are a no go, ditch it immediately. They disrupt sleep patterns and cause other issues for tortoises.

Florida
1st off what type of tortoise? But yes pretty much every species of Tortoise with perhaps a few exceptions absolutely need UVB and supplemental heat. Red bulbs are a no go, ditch it immediately. They disrupt sleep patterns and cause other issues for tortoises.
He’s a testudo tortoise. Also thank you for quick reply I will get the red bulb out of his space! Will he be ok with no heat source while I go shop for a new one today or is there an temporary fix you suggest?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hey hi and welcome. Your tort needs a UVB light as that's his "sun" and and a ceramic heat emitter...for heat. Russians like to cool off at night, but he needs heat to help digest his food. Personally, and I am not an expert...my Russians has a daytime heat ambient heat of 80 degrees and no cooler than 75 at night...but again, I'm no expert...read this,

Russian tortoises

Hermanns tortoises

Florida
Hey hi and welcome. Your tort needs a UVB light as that's his "sun" and and a ceramic heat emitter...for heat. Russians like to cool off at night, but he needs heat to help digest his food. Personally, and I am not an expert...my Russians has a daytime heat ambient heat of 80 degrees and no cooler than 75 at night...but again, I'm no expert...read this,

Russian tortoises

Hermanns tortoises

Russian tortoises

Hermanns tortoises

Awesome, thank you! :)