New Tortoise eating habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hantslad

5 Year Member
We've had Dolly a week now and still no signs of eating. We allowed her 3 days to settle in without pestering her, now she is active and is happy to walk to us for a cuddle.

She is kept in a viv, which we have used for our other Tortoise, but she is allowed out when she bangs on the glass for a wander around the lounge.

She seems quite settled as she will happily come to us without being shy and putting her head in. Maybe she is eating on the quiet, but I want to see her eat.

She has lots of choice, we use T-Rex pellets, Komodo, fresh greens etc, but when we feed her she just walks over the food and comes for us.

I'm sure I remember the same worry over Archie when we first got him, but he soon eats us out of house and home.

Is 7 days too long for Dolly not to eat?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Dolly sounds just fine with respect to not eating --she is still new. Also, may I suggest that when you feed her that you prep the food on the feeding dish and then get her attention on the opposite end of the enclosure and set the food opposite of her and then walk away, clean out of her line of sight....then don't go back and forth checking on her...come back sometime later to take a peek---sounds as though she is occupied with people watching and is likely not understanding what the jig is....she will get it..but sometimes torts do better with the food on a "drop and go away" system....I know it is fun to watch them eat and all, but perhaps this will work....

Status
Not open for further replies.