new tortoise enthusiast

liza20

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Hello Everyone,

so I have been doing a lot of research on owning tortoises. The breed that I'm looking at starting with is the leopard tortoise. I am so eager to be a tortoise parent that I can't stand it. my question to everyone is I want to get healthy and happy babies and not go broke getting them I have looked online, at reptile shops and I have a reptile show coming up in September that I want to go to, so what should I do? I NEED ADVICE.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

The first thing to know is that a Leopard Tortoise is a species of tortoise rather than a breed.

They grow pretty big, they can't hibernate and they are likely to live for 50 years or more with good care. You must therefore think ahead. Do you/will you have a yard/garden where your tort can live and space to build proper winter accommodation as a tortoise this size cannot be accommodated in a house after the first few years.

Please start by reading our care guides written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a Healthy Leopard Tortoise
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Ask all the right questions and if they don't give the right answer move on.
How was it hatched, high humidity? How was it housed after hatching, hot and high humidity? How long was it left in the incubation box? I took mine out right after hatching and placed them in another container with greens and placed them back in the incubator for another 1-2 days or so until their other enclosure was ready. Some will keep them in for a week. Don't want them to start eating the medium.
What kind of medium did they use in the incubator? Vermiculite is better then perilite.
The most important is the correct care after hatching.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and welcome

The first thing to know is that a Leopard Tortoise is a species of tortoise rather than a breed.

They grow pretty big, they can't hibernate and they are likely to live for 50 years or more with good care. You must therefore think ahead. Do you/will you have a yard/garden where your tort can live and space to build proper winter accommodation as a tortoise this size cannot be accommodated in a house after the first few years.

Please start by reading our care guides written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a Healthy Leopard Tortoise
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
Just want to add if you don't mind. The leopard does live longer the 50 years. Closer to 80-100. They can be housed inside the house as adults but it does have to be a room sized enclosure. There are two differ types of leopards. The Babcocki (GBP) stays smaller 11-20 inches then the Pardalis (GPP) which is usually over 20 inches and more expensive then the Babs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also your best place too buy one is from a breeder that is an active member of this forum.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I concur with everything @wellington said. I will also reiterate the point about buying from a reputable breeder. Too many breeders out there with absolutely no clue as to how to care for hatchlings, which has a huge impact on how they develop later in life. It can be a very expensive mistake not to thoroughly research the species you choose, as well as the breeder offering it.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Welcome! Definitely stick with the well known breeders on here. They will be healthy.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.......:)