MPappagallo

Location (City and/or State)
Myrtle Beach, SC
Hi there! My name is Michele and I am new to the tortoise world. I have a grown daughter that has been rescuing tortoises in central Texas for several years, and two friends that own large, rescued Sulcatas (almost 100 pounds each), so I have been around tortoises for some time. I am now retired and living in Myrtle Beach, SC...and have been considering getting a tortoise of my own. I am in the research/decision stage right now because I want to make sure that I choose the best fit for my situation. I love to build/construct things...so I would enjoy creating an enclosure, and I also have plenty of outdoor space available for a tortoise once it outgrows an indoor space. I welcome any information, tips, etc from all of you! I am mainly considering a Sulcata or Russian at this point based on my research and my friend's advice and experience....but am willing to consider others as well. Looking forward to being a part of this community!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Greetings! welcome to the forum

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sulcata as you know are solitary and grow pretty large.
They'll need a large outdoor enclosure.
Russians are also solitary. Stay MUCH smaller and can more easily be kept indoors.
They are actually not similar at all.
MANY keepers here keep Russians or Sulcata.
@Tom has threads on his heated, insulated night houses for his Sulcata.
And we have care and food "sheets". As well as many, many posts with awesome photos of different pens and enclosures for both.
Once you've decided, I suggest you post questions geared towards that specific species.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Russians are also solitary. Stay MUCH smaller and can more easily be kept indoors.
And we have care and food "sheets". As well as many, many posts with awesome photos of different pens and enclosures for both.
Once you've decided, I suggest you post questions geared towards that specific species.
Thanks for the great info. I will definitely check out those things
Thanks for all the great info. I willdefinitely check it all out. I really want a sulcata because my friend has a couple so I am most familiar with them....but I only have about 1/2 acre of outdoor space, so I want to make sure that I would have plenty of room once it gets larger. I was considering a Russian since they are smaller....but the sulcata is my first choice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michele, and welcome to the Forum! I have a 110lb sulcata and he lives comfortably in a yard that's appx. 2600 square feet. He has an insulated, heated shed for shelter and I close him in it every night. The grass was already established when he became the occupant, so it has held up well for him. What grows in his yard is his main food source, and I occasionally cut off a branch from the mulberry tree and toss it in for him. He also gets any leftovers from feeding the other tortoises, if there are any.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Hi Michele, and welcome to the Forum! I have a 110lb sulcata and he lives comfortably in a yard that's appx. 2600 square feet. He has an insulated, heated shed for shelter and I close him in it every night. The grass was already established when he became the occupant, so it has held up well for him. What grows in his yard is his main food source, and I occasionally cut off a branch from the mulberry tree and toss it in for him. He also gets any leftovers from feeding the other tortoises, if there are any.

Hi there! That sounds very similar to the set-up I have. My yard is just under 3000sf, and is completely covered with grass. We have several trees that would provide shade during the hot parts of the day, and have plenty of room to build a nice shelter as well. We have a large shed already (about 10x12), but I use it for storage currently, so there is no heat or insulation in it. I could always convert it if I needed to. Thanks so much for the info. I am really looking forward to becoming an owner soon!