New tortoise fan, Hi!

mj_the_tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Found a cute russian tortoise a couple of months ago and I'm totally in love. I'm happy I found this forum, I need to learn everything I can to keep him/her happy.

I found the tortoise next to my house, which is really strange because I live on the corner of a busy suburban intersection. I tried to find its owners, but nobody claimed him/her. I decided to keep it and been learning all I can about tortoise. I've built her a cool outdoor enclosure and she seems happy enough. :) {I keep calling the tortoise her, but I have a feeling its a male; have yet to confirm with vet.}

Anyhoo, I'm excited to be here!

:)

Last edited:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome to the forum. You are come to the right place to learn. Goo to have you here.

Welcomes.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello an welcome to TFO :)

You should read the following care guides thoroughly so you can things set up perfectly for your new friend

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tort Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Please be aware that there is a lot of misinformation around which is sadly perpetuated by many pet stores and, sadly, even some vets. The above guides should be your benchmark by which you judge others!

Pictures of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you better. They speak a thousand words :)

If you post a good clear picture of your tort's plastron and tail, we can sex it for you. We also need to know it's straight length as it's impossible to sex them until they're a fair size; they all look female at first.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Hello. Welcome to the forum. What does for tortoise tail look like? Can you put up some pictures?