New tortoise guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Hello
My name is Becca and I have recently acquired a tortoise. He (guess there's a good chance it's actually a she!) belonged to some friends who needed someone to have him in a hurry for an undefined period of time. I'm not sure exactly how old he is but they'd only had him a few months and said he was a baby. He's a Hermann and is called Zac (short for Isaac). I have totally fallen in love with him over the last few weeks and may well be getting my own if and when he goes back to his original owners. In the mean time I want to be sure I'm looking after him the best I can and have found lots of helpful info on here - thanks. I will be in touch with some more info, lots of questions and hopefully some pics soon.
Becca

Becca

5 Year Member
Wales
IMG_0034.JPGPC100098.JPGSo here are some pics of zac as promised.

Last edited by a moderator:

Becca

5 Year Member
Wales
PC150120.JPGPC150108.JPGPC150108.JPGPC150116.JPGSo after a load of research Zac has a new enclosure. The one he came to me in didn't seem ideal so have tried to follow the advise found.
Below are some pictures of the enclosure. It is a 120cm rabbit hutch with a small second level. The substrate is mostly coco coir with some orchid bark. Under the ramps is some moist sand/soil mix that he had in his old enclosure with a small amount of hay. There are a number of hides at different temperatures of varying substrates including 2 under the ramp. I plans to add some more greenery to it soon. Now the enclosure is on a stand rather than the floor and the substrate changed I will take some temperature measurements at various points in the enclosure at different times of day to check they are ok. Will wait and see what Zac thinks of it but any suggestions or constructive criticism welcomed. Please be nice though as spent the day building it ;)
Becca

Last edited by a moderator:

Becca

5 Year Member
Wales
cherylim said:
Zac's a Russian, not a Hermann's. :)

Lovely tortoise, though!

I did wonder after seeing some pics of Russians! Definitely feel like am doing this backwards in terms of learning but hopefully am getting somewhere. Didn't have any time to plan his arrival.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
The important thing is that you ARE learning. He's going to be just fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.