New Tortoise mom here...

hcl113083

Location (City and/or State)
MA
Hi All-
I am adopting/rescuing a Russian Tortoise that comes tonight! I thought I would have more time to prepare, but (s)he is coming early! I have cared for many animals before, but this will be my first Russian Tortoise. I know (s)he is coming with its current housing/food/lighting etc, but since I haven't seen any of it yet I'm not sure if it is the correct lighting/diet etc. As such, I am trying to prepare as much as I can for transitioning my new friend to its new home. I live in New England so having a year round outdoor area isn't going to work (today is a high of 60!). I would love to setup a large garden tray in the house for him/her to graze in. I'm thinking of putting in this Russian Tortoise Forge Mix (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C43Y6LT/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20) and do dandelions and endive frisee too.

What's the best to do for a diet for my new friend. I'm worried the previous diet might not have been great and that I will need to transition him/her to a healthier diet. I don't want to overwhelm the poor thing not knowing its background, but want to make sure we have what (s)he needs.

TIA!

hcl113083

MA
She’s here!!! Well at least I think it’s a she.

I’m already super in love. She was eating out of mine and my kid’s hands tonight. Previous owners fed iceberg lettuce so it took me a while to coax her to the celery tops and kale, but once she tried it she chowed down.

I’m excited to shop for her tomorrow and get her a much better balanced diet and some cuttlebones as she didn’t come with any calcium supplements either so I’m not sure if she’s been getting them.

She’s about 5 inches so I’m guessing around 5-10 years old and wild caught??? Does that sound/look right?

Attachments

• 8D48DCC2-6CDD-43A9-996F-9EEB201C3153.jpeg
    8D48DCC2-6CDD-43A9-996F-9EEB201C3153.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 45
  • 4A1AAA61-451C-46D8-A905-39716E841690.jpeg
    4A1AAA61-451C-46D8-A905-39716E841690.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Happytort27

CA
Glad she arrived safely! All of the correct information is on this thread:

hcl113083

MA
Please take a look at this thread:

Yes! I saw this on another post and it was very helpful when creating my shopping list for tomorrow. I especially like the cuttlebone idea instead of dusting the food. Thanks for sharing again!

Happytort27

CA
Yes! I saw this on another post and it was very helpful when creating my shopping list for tomorrow. I especially like the cuttlebone idea instead of dusting the food. Thanks for sharing again!
As for the seed mixes, the one that you linked seems fine, but I would prefer this one if you choose to order on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B7PPJPT/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The Testudo Mix from Tortoise Supply is a great seed mix that sprouts really quickly. You can grow it in little trays or in her outdoor enclosure. (She’ll really benefit from a large outdoor enclosure if she’s big enough.) It’s quite hardy once it grows bigger. I planted this mix in my tortoise’s outdoor enclosure, and it’s really taken off! Of course, variety is key and you can order other mixes from them or Amazon. There’s a item called Herbal Hay on Tortoise Supply’s website, and it is really good for when you don’t have fresh food in the winter. You can also order from Kapidolo Farms. They have an awesome variety of dried foods. You can also search up some safe flowers to grow. Spirea is a hardy plant, and I especially recommend it for people who are just getting into gardening. Squash or cucumber leaves, grape leaves, Campanula, Aster, pansies, African violet, Coreopsis, hibiscus, Rose Mallow, the list is endless! You can also find some safe weeds growing in your backyard and transplant them into the enclosure. For example, sowthistle, dandelion, clover, and plantain, are just a few so called ‘nuisance’ weeds that your tortoise can eat. Once the plants get going, your tortoise will love it!

Reactions: KT1

hcl113083

MA
As for the seed mixes, the one that you linked seems fine, but I would prefer this one if you choose to order on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B7PPJPT/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The Testudo Mix from Tortoise Supply is a great seed mix that sprouts really quickly. You can grow it in little trays or in her outdoor enclosure. (She’ll really benefit from a large outdoor enclosure if she’s big enough.) It’s quite hardy once it grows bigger. I planted this mix in my tortoise’s outdoor enclosure, and it’s really taken off! Of course, variety is key and you can order other mixes from them or Amazon. There’s a item called Herbal Hay on Tortoise Supply’s website, and it is really good for when you don’t have fresh food in the winter. You can also order from Kapidolo Farms. They have an awesome variety of dried foods. You can also search up some safe flowers to grow. Spirea is a hardy plant, and I especially recommend it for people who are just getting into gardening. Squash or cucumber leaves, grape leaves, Campanula, Aster, pansies, African violet, Coreopsis, hibiscus, Rose Mallow, the list is endless! You can also find some safe weeds growing in your backyard and transplant them into the enclosure. For example, sowthistle, dandelion, clover, and plantain, are just a few so called ‘nuisance’ weeds that your tortoise can eat. Once the plants get going, your tortoise will love it!

This is super helpful! Thank you very much! I ordered the Testudo mix and some pans to grow it inside for her as it will be too cold for her to be out (the high today was 60). I also ordered the Herbal Hay. This little girl isn't going to know what to do with all these delicious foods coming!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is super helpful! Thank you very much! I ordered the Testudo mix and some pans to grow it inside for her as it will be too cold for her to be out (the high today was 60). I also ordered the Herbal Hay. This little girl isn't going to know what to do with all these delicious foods coming!
What is herbal hay?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Its great stuff Maggie. Tyler gave me some to try years ago and I've been using it ever since. I sprinkle it on top of their greens once or twice a week. Great way to add variety and the tortoises like it.
OK Tom, thanks for that. You just better hope your tortoises never talk to my tortoises. $25 a pound??? I pay $8 for a bale of locally grown grass hay, soft and sweet hay, and tell my guys how lucky they are to have that nice hay. hahaha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OK Tom, thanks for that. You just better hope your tortoises never talk to my tortoises. $25 a pound??? I pay $8 for a bale of locally grown grass hay, soft and sweet hay, and tell my guys how lucky they are to have that nice hay. hahaha
That pound lasts me for months, even with all my adults and babies.

$8 for hay??? I'm up to $26 for a bale of orchard grass hay. Bermuda is still about $18.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
That pound lasts me for months, even with all my adults and babies.

$8 for hay??? I'm up to $26 for a bale of orchard grass hay. Bermuda is still about $18.
That's Oregon for ya. I also pay $2.68 for premium gas, and you don't pump your gas, there's attendants do it for us...and we don't have any sales tax

hcl113083

MA
Silly question. I’m allergic to hay (like when you go on a hay ride), but don’t know what type of hay that is. I want to feed my girl hay, but don’t have an allergy attack. Do you happen to know of a low allergen hay?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Congrats on your new friend.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Silly question. I’m allergic to hay (like when you go on a hay ride), but don’t know what type of hay that is. I want to feed my girl hay, but don’t have an allergy attack. Do you happen to know of a low allergen hay?
Grass hay is for grass eating species, like sulcatas for example. Russians are not grass eaters. They are broadleaf weed eaters. You can mix small amounts of finely blended up soaked grass hay into grocery store greens to add some fiber, but they won't eat plain hay.

hcl113083

MA
Grass hay is for grass eating species, like sulcatas for example. Russians are not grass eaters. They are broadleaf weed eaters. You can mix small amounts of finely blended up soaked grass hay into grocery store greens to add some fiber, but they won't eat plain hay.

Awesome thanks!