New tortoise mom

acauthon

Location (City and/or State)
Broken Arrow
We've had one redfoot for almost a year and our 2nd redfoot and a yellowfoot since December, but I have just recently fallen in love with them. The are incredibly interesting to watch and I am very curious about some if their behaviors. For example, do they know their owner's voice? When I pick them up, they stick their little heads out and let me pet their necks and begin bobbing their heads up and down, like they are listening to me. Is this just wishful thinking on my part? :D

Also, I have noticed our yellowfoot has not grown much; how big should he be at this point? Should we separate our oldest redfoot from the other two?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you are enjoying them. Yes its wishful thinking to a point. But that's okay, you can still think it.
It's hard to say how big a tortoise should he at any certain age. They all grow at their own pace and the care of them before you get them can play a part too.
I would not house an adult or larger one with younger or too small of ones. The small one will get bullied and lose out more then not. Seperate and I bet the little one will start to grow in a shorter time as s/he won't be pushed away from the food which I bet is happening and s/he is not getting the amount it needs. Babies need to have food available all day long.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

We have a couple very good care sheets. You'll find them pinned towards the top of our Redfoot section.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
We've had one redfoot for almost a year and our 2nd redfoot and a yellowfoot since December, but I have just recently fallen in love with them. The are incredibly interesting to watch and I am very curious about some if their behaviors. For example, do they know their owner's voice? When I pick them up, they stick their little heads out and let me pet their necks and begin bobbing their heads up and down, like they are listening to me. Is this just wishful thinking on my part? :D

Also, I have noticed our yellowfoot has not grown much; how big should he be at this point? Should we separate our oldest redfoot from the other two?
Mine respond to any voice they hear, I sometimes put the radio on to get them up and moving.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
My leopard responds to me singing to him by weeing and passing urates in his soak - works every time!
Doesn't say a lot for my voice.
If he is in his hide and I call him when I get home, he comes out but probably only because he associates me with food.
Sounds like a good plan to give the bigger tort his own space but be careful of leaving the 2 other torts in together as well, because most species are territorial and one will bully the other, I don't know if Redfooots are more tolerant of other torts though, maybe someone who keeps them can advise you on that.