New tortoise mommy!

VeeM

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Hello! I am a proud new mommy of an adult Greek tortoise. He’s about 15 years old and his previous owner was unable to take care of him any longer. I was wondering if anyone can identify his subspecies. Meet Boris! IMG_8550.jpgIMG_8552.jpgIMG_8565.jpgIMG_8555.jpg

VeeM

Albuquerque, NM
Welcome !
Do you know the country of origin ?

I do not. The original owner found him abandoned in her neighbors yard out in California 15 years ago. She cared for him and then brought him out to NM when she moved out here. She’s a senior citizen with back issues and so she could no longer take care of him.

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
So hard to be sure because it's a quite old tortoise.
Can you send us the exact shell size and the weight plz ?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Whatever the subspecies, that's quite a handsome tort ya got there!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This I.D. is a job for our @HermanniChris

This tortoise is the reason I have such a hard time identifying the Greek tortoises. All of the Greeks that have come through my rescue look like your tortoise. And yet, most of the Greeks we see on the Forum are quite colorful - tan, black - a nice pattern on the shell. I'll just never get it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . oh, and "Welcome to the Forum!!"

VeeM

Albuquerque, NM
This I.D. is a job for our @HermanniChris

This tortoise is the reason I have such a hard time identifying the Greek tortoises. All of the Greeks that have come through my rescue look like your tortoise. And yet, most of the Greeks we see on the Forum are quite colorful - tan, black - a nice pattern on the shell. I'll just never get it.
Yes please that would be awesome! I was thinking it’s a Buxtoni?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Welcome. You have a Syrian Testudo graeca terrestris otherwise known as the Mesopotamian tortoise “aka the golden Greek” and yet another reason why the term golden Greek is inaccurate! Beautiful animal :)

VeeM

Albuquerque, NM
Welcome. You have a Syrian Testudo graeca terrestris otherwise known as the Mesopotamian tortoise “aka the golden Greek” and yet another reason why the term golden Greek is inaccurate! Beautiful animal :)

Wow! Thank you so much! I just weighed him and he weighs 790 grams and his shell is 6 and 1/2 inches long.