New tortoise mum

Harrietsmum

I am getting a new 3yr old spur thigh tortoise on the 27th of this month, I have a tortoise table uv lamp and basking spotlight, 50 50 sand and soil mix tortoise mix plant seeds dandelions , calcium flour, clover seeds, reptile dishes basking slate, artificial plants and stones for decor, dried dandelion food, for emergency in case I havent got fresh plants and weeds is there anything else I need before Harriet arrives

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I would ditch the sand, it is known to cause eye trouble an can cause internal impactions. Top soil is just fine. Also if by " reptile dishes" you mean those plastic ones they sell at pet store then I would take them back. The water dish is a flip hazzard and a terra cotta plant dish works great and are cheap. Please also check that basking bulb is not a coil type bulb, the can cause blindness. Pet stores give bad info sometimes so just figured I would mention these few things just in case :)

Harrietsmum

I would ditch the sand, it is known to cause eye trouble an can cause internal impactions. Top soil is just fine. Also if by " reptile dishes" you mean those plastic ones they sell at pet store then I would take them back. The water dish is a flip hazzard and a terra cotta plant dish works great and are cheap. Please also check that basking bulb is not a coil type bulb, the can cause blindness. Pet stores give bad info sometimes so just figured I would mention these few things just in case :)
ah thankyou the bulb I

Harrietsmum

ah thankyou everyone, Harriet is coming tomorrow ive ditched the sand and got a top soil substrate , the uv light is a curly one, im distraught I was told this was the best one , I will get a strip light to replace asap the dishes are pottery shallow type , ive been picking dandelion greens and have bought fresh parsley endive and clover for her food when she arrives tomorrow, yikes its scay being a new tortoise mum

Harrietsmum

omg you must think I am illiterate sory but I am new to the site and I'm having problems replying to the posts please be patient with me I value your expertise and help

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
omg you must think I am illiterate sory but I am new to the site and I'm having problems replying to the posts please be patient with me I value your expertise and help
Don't worry....it took me a bit to figure out too!! I'm somewhat new myself & still learning :) You can post pictures from your phone by the option that says upload a file. That's how someone told me how to do it. Than you can either take a new pic or choose one from your photos library.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Next to the Green Post Reply tab is a tab that says Upload a File. Select that, find your photo, and upload. Then type your text that goes with the photo, and select the green Post Reply. That will send your text and photo off to the forum to be viewed by one and all.

Harrietsmum

Hi, I have just read a thread from a very sensitive newby, I just want to say I welcome all expertise and help I can get from you guys with experience, I have already had help on the intro page, I am getting a 3yr old spur thigh tomorrow , and although I had thought I had all I needed I find I had the wrong uv light the curly type which can actually blind my new baby, I am just grateful to know this in advance, ok, now my new question, on arrival of the new tortoise should I have her table already heated to 95 degrees is that too high, should I give her a warm bath, for how long, when can I expect her to eat, I have picked her dandelion greens, clover, bought her parsley and endive help what else should I do, oh and thanks to members I think I will be able to upload pics tomorrow

Harrietsmum

the pic is my first attempt I will change things as advised awaiting delivery of the new uv bulb as I believe the coil one is dangerous , the top soil is reccomended on the care sheet on the forum, what else is the parsley ok for shade and nibbles or should I loose it, I have fresh dandelions and clover for her first meal thats if she eats today I also have endive calcium powder and fairly large shallow dish to bathe her, what should I do first should I give her a long soak, oh by the way I live in the highlands of scotland so outdoor closure will be next year , on very sunny days she can wander round the garden with supervision but it wont get warm enough to leave her outside for too long until probably next may.the sunflower cloth is a curtain for the perspex side of her table, I was advised to cover it so she doesnt think she can get out.

Last edited:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello. Harriet is a very cute name.

Is that a real parsley plant? If so, I'd recommend removing it. A 3yo tort may be able to reach some of the lower leaves or even push that pot over. Parsley is not safe for torts. Basil is in season and much safer. :)

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES