New tortoise on the block

Kirsty3407

Location (City and/or State)
Leeds
Hi guys myself and Bobby are new to here,
A bit about us; I have recently purchased my 1st Leopard Tortoise (Bobby, 7months old, 2 1/2") just a few days ago after waiting many years. I have previously looked after two horsefield tortoises in the past, that i took in for a long while due to been mistreated (6 and 7years old) and eventually rehomed them. Many years ago i worked with tortoises in an animal centre (Spur-thighed) and they were a lot older and bigger than my little mate Booby, they were 25 years+.
After reading a lot of horror stories about baby tortoises getting ill etc, i just want to make sure i do everything possible for Bobby to thrive and have a healthy start in life.

Bobby doesn't seem too shy i've had him/her out on the floor and he seemed to love having a little explore, will come out of his shell on my hand and even took a bite out of a leaf that i offered to him.

However when hes back in his viv all he wants to do his hide under his log, i haven't seen him really bask unless i put him under the lamp and he doesn't seem to want to go eat.

Is this just a settling in period? (only got him on saturday)
Does anyone have any recommendations on settling in a new baby tortoise?

Thanks Kirsty

Attachments

• 20180324_181740.jpg
    20180324_181740.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

In addition to the thread mentioned above, please see the thread on beginner mistakes: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/.

Your tortoise should not be roaming on the floor. It’s too cold for a cold-blooded animal; it will let him realize there is a larger world than his enclosure and he’ll be constantly trying to get at it; additionally it’s littered with things he migt eat or chew. I hate to throw that out on your first day but it’s important. Many new users respond that their floor is clean, they are keeping an eye on the tortoise, etc. But however well intended and careful you are, the tortoise is not safe roaming about.

Bread101b

New york
Welcome!

In addition to the thread mentioned above, please see the thread on beginner mistakes: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/.

Your tortoise should not be roaming on the floor. It’s too cold for a cold-blooded animal; it will let him realize there is a larger world than his enclosure and he’ll be constantly trying to get at it; additionally it’s littered with things he migt eat or chew. I hate to throw that out on your first day but it’s important. Many new users respond that their floor is clean, they are keeping an eye on the tortoise, etc. But however well intended and careful you are, the tortoise is not safe roaming about.

Is it safe to take them outside to explore the grass at all? I don't have a tortoise at the moment but I plan to eventually and would just like to know ahead of time. :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Is it safe to take them outside to explore the grass at all? I don't have a tortoise at the moment but I plan to eventually and would just like to know ahead of time. :)

Welcome!

Only under very limited circumstances can a tortoise be outside. You need to be sure the grass has no pesticides (good looking lawns usually do) and that he has a secure enclosure, even if it’s moveable. This thread contains cheap outdoor sunning options but if you look through it you’ll see that some of them allow grass access. Your tortoise will enjoy and exercise in the cheap kiddie pool one without grass, so long as you put in some hides and plants and/or obstacles. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/cheap-easy-simple-sunning-enclosure.14680/page-2

Here is another simple one that allows grass access. Easy to knock together or pay a handyman a few bucks to do it for you.

Do not under any circumstances let a tortoise roam freely outside. They will escape, the end!

Bread101b

New york
Welcome!

Only under very limited circumstances can a tortoise be outside. You need to be sure the grass has no pesticides (good looking lawns usually do) and that he has a secure enclosure, even if it’s moveable. This thread contains cheap outdoor sunning options but if you look through it you’ll see that some of them allow grass access. Your tortoise will enjoy and exercise in the cheap kiddie pool one without grass, so long as you put in some hides and plants and/or obstacles. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/cheap-easy-simple-sunning-enclosure.14680/page-2

Here is another simple one that allows grass access. Easy to knock together or pay a handyman a few bucks to do it for you.

Do not under any circumstances let a tortoise roam freely outside. They will escape, the end!

I was definitely going to look into getting an enclosure for it, but thank you very much!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! All the best with the little one. He is adorable.

He needs to be given time to really settle down into his permanent home. He needs to become aware that he is not going to be attacked or eaten, which is probably how he feels roaming around in the house or in the "great outdoors". If you can provide a nice roomy, warm and comfortable enclosure for him both inside and outside when it permits, that's the best place for him to be. Be alert and don't leave him alone unless he is completely secure and there is no danger from any temperature conditions or predators and no way he can escape and be lost and/or hurt.

Kirsty3407

Leeds
Bobby is settling in well hes active and lazy at the same time. He loves to explore but also loves a good nap too. Just finish building him a bigger indoor viv for while hes a baby. Once hes alot bigger hel have a huge outdoor pen with all sorts in for hom to explore and as he grows so will his heated home.