New tortoise owner. A couple questions/opinions (BAS)

How does the habitat look?

• BEST EVER!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I like it

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Meh.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ugly but functional..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're going to kill Darwin and shouldn't have a tortoise

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKylePile

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
First, meet Darwin. He's (she's?) a beautiful healthy cherryhead I got today.

I've created a bio-active substrate habitat (earthworms, isopods, 3 layers from perlite to soil-including soil from my own garden-and finally sphagnum moss on top) I have three plants in there also. Trying hard to keep humidity up. Using a ceramic heat emitter, still figuring out the best way to get his hide at temperature with it honestly. Ambient temp is about 60F. Trial and error right now to get that spot in the 80s. I have a small water plate and a rock abutting it for food placement.

First question, how does it look?

Second question, am I missing something important from the habitat?

Third, how often do I need to mist the sphagnum moss/how moist should I keep it? I'm trying to keep the inside of his hide as humid as possible also.

Fourth, is it a good idea to get a heat rock/underground heat source or from above is adequate?

I've decided to follow Terry's diet, I know not all agree but it seems like it gets good results to me. I feel I've been stringent with my research, but we always miss something and but I'm still new to it regardless and I want to keep him very happy and healthy.

All answers, opinions, criticisms very welcome!

Cheers

Kyle

(I'm not sure how to attach photos so bear with me if they're not showing up yet)

Attachments

• darwin1.JPG
    darwin1.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 60
  • habitat.JPG
    habitat.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 69

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kyle:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

It sounds like you've been lurking for a while, huh? I'm glad you've decided to join the forum...I think you're going to fit right in.

May we know where you are?

DrKylePile

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Kyle:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

It sounds like you've been lurking for a while, huh? I'm glad you've decided to join the forum...I think you're going to fit right in.

May we know where you are?

Yes, long time lurker, thank you kidly for the welcome!:)
I live in portland maine.
Cheers
KC

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like it, I think the chance of you killing darwin is very very low :) and yes I also think you should have a tortoise.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Welcome Kyle and Darwin. I like it. Sorry I can't offer any advice about humidity.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
looks good to me, but I got a 11yr old Sulcata and know nothin' 'bout cherryheads.... but he is cute!

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Id sayy spray it as much as u need to let it not dry out.
Maybe try covering the top to trapt some heat and humidity in.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
The word that stuck out when I was reading this is the PERLITE. I've always heard not to put that into their habitat because they can ingest it and it expands and could hurt them. Here is a site that explains what Perlite is and how it expands. :( Your tortoise is beautiful by the way. :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Perlite is based on volcanic rock used to prevent compacting the soil and holds water. It is not hazardous by itself, but it IS attractive to torts, especially young ones. One theory is that it looks like termites or bug eggs that infest tortoise nests and that the young feed on.

If a tortoise eats enough of it, it could cause an impaction- especially if they are dehydrated. I have heard from several breeders who say this is an overblown worry, and lots of sites say to avoid it. Of course, you hear the same thing about sand, and wild Red-footed tortoise droppings are often about 15% or more sand, so you have to figure that they can handle some of this sort of thing... as long as they are properly hydrated.

Otherwise, it is a gorgeous habitat. Do you cover it at all to help retain humidity? As for hot rocks- avoid them. I LOVE substrate heat ropes (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes) which help both warm and raise the humidity.

I personally dislike the moss- whenever I use it, my torts get plastron rots, probably because here in Omaha in winter it is so hard to keep it slightly damp but not wet. You may also find that a 'layered' approach to the substrate is tough to maintain, although the Bioactive Substrate System is great!

If you would like to discuss alternatives or tweaks to the redfoots.com diet, I have some suggestions you can consider, and there are other diet plans listed in the Library, linked below.

DrKylePile

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Madkins-
Good info. I dont worry about the perlite because its 10 inches under the ground. If for some reason it makes its way to the surface in the future ill switch to larger rock though.
Im not sold on the sphagnum moss yet, is coconut coir the other common one? What do you suggest? Im very curious about your thoughts on the diet tweaks, please let me know about this.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Darwin will enjoy digging for the worms! He sure is a nice looking baby!

DrKylePile

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank everybody for the input.

Darwin doesnt seem to be eating and I'm starting to get worried. It's been a day and a half and I got him to take one bite-ful of a dandelion green and two little bites of banana (I know, I know, but I'm trying to get him to eat SOMEthing!). The temp is in the 80s and the humidity is high.

What's wrong?? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.