New tortoise owner could use help!

Azmema

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hello all. I'm a new tortoise owner. I live in Phoenix AZ. My mail lady found a tortoise and gave it to me. Frankly, I am very confused. I assumed living in AZ that it was a desert tortoise, however, other desert tortoise owners aren't as sure. It's shell is very high and a much different color. Another suspects sulcata. I believe it is female. Posting pics to see if anyone knows what I have. I know the care is much different...especially when it comes to hibernation. Any help would be great!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Welcome to the world of tortoises. A very lucky find, tell your mailperson thanks for finding it. Also no hibernation on these guys.

Azmema

Welcome to the world of tortoises. A very lucky find, tell your mailperson thanks for finding it. Also no hibernation on these guys.
Thank you! Any chance you can tell if male or female?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks male to me from the position of the cloaca away from the body. Ask your mail carrier if they know of any tortoise-keepers on the route. This is someone's escaped pet and they actually paid money to have it. I bet they're pretty upset to have lost it.

phebe121

Hi that is a leopard i also have leopards please tell me how your keeping this little one looks to little to sex yet how big is it and my basking spot is 98 and the cool end is 85 i have them on coconut coir that needs to ge. Moist every day they should have a hide in there enclosure flat rocks nothi.g they can flip over on water dish
TTerracotta plate will do and food dish as well they need to soak every other day 30 min in warm water they eat grass ,dandelion ,wandering jew,clovers,spider plant,kale,carrots, pansy,the need uvb light to

Azmema

Looks male to me from the position of the cloaca away from the body. Ask your mail carrier if they know of any tortoise-keepers on the route. This is someone's escaped pet and they actually paid money to have it. I bet they're pretty upset to have lost it.
I thought the same. We posted flyers everywhere and even made one she taped to mailboxes for me. No one ever responded. Only person who called lost a 50 lb desert. I truly did try.

Krabby

MA
Welcome to the forum! Everyone here is helpful & friendly. Thank you for taking care of this beautiful tort. :tort:

Azmema

Hi that is a leopard i also have leopards please tell me how your keeping this little one looks to little to sex yet how big is it and my basking spot is 98 and the cool end is 85 i have them on coconut coir that needs to ge. Moist every day they should have a hide in there enclosure flat rocks nothi.g they can flip over on water dish
TTerracotta plate will do and food dish as well they need to soak every other day 30 min in warm water they eat grass ,dandelion ,wandering jew,clovers,spider plant,kale,carrots, pansy,the need uvb light to
Have had him in atrium area in front of our house. Getting too,cold now. Looking for how to keep it now. It's shell fits in the palm of my hand. We are mid 70s during the day. I have been letting him out for several hours a day to graze and exercise. Area completely enclosed. Not to sound stupid but he does get water every day, however no where near soaking for half hour. Do I force this? Should I have him inside at night? Feeling very over my head right now but have fallen in love! Can heat source be outside? Sorry for all the questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should read the care sheets shown at the top of the Sulcata and leopard sections (care is the same). The leopard tortoise care sheet was written by someone who lives in Arizona.

Azmema

You should read the care sheets shown at the top of the Sulcata and leopard sections (care is the same). The leopard tortoise care sheet was written by someone who lives in Arizona.
Ok. Thank you so much for your help!

phebe121

Have had him in atrium area in front of oe. Getting too,cold now. Looking for how to keep it now. It's shell fits in the palm of my hand. We are mid 70s during the day. I have been letting him out for several hours a day to graze and exercise. Area completely enclosed. Not to sound stupid but he does get water every day, however no where near soaking for half hour. Do I force this? Should I have him inside at night? Feeling very over my head right now but have fallen in love! Can heat source be outside? Sorry for all the questions.

70 is way to chilli for them below 80 they cant digest therefood,yes water in there encloser at all times tge soaks are forced if you.want to put it like that the water sholdnt be deep just enough to get to the bottom of there shell. he should be inside its to cold now i have mine in a big tuff stuff oval tank from the trackter trailer supply and i havr it coverd on top to keep the humidity up. Read that care sheet and if yiu have questions ask

Alaskamike

South Florida
70 is way to chilli for them below 80 they cant digest therefood,yes water in there encloser at all times tge soaks are forced if you.want to put it like that the water sholdnt be deep just enough to get to the bottom of there shell. he should be inside its to cold now i have mine in a big tuff stuff oval tank from the trackter trailer supply and i havr it coverd on top to keep the humidity up. Read that care sheet and if yiu have questions ask