New tortoise owner [emoji3]

Lawrence287

Location (City and/or State)
United kingdom
Hello,

I am a new tortoise owner from the UK.

I have recently been given a tortoise, that I thought was a Hermann but it seems to be too small, is there such thing as a dwarf Hermann?

Also his eyes were shut when I was given him (yesterday) and they haven't opened yet, what should i do?

Thank you,
Lawrence[emoji3]

Melis

Maryland
Can you post pictures of your tort and his enclosure? Also, the experts on here will ask what the temp and humidity is in the enclosure. Also what are you feeding? All this info will help determine the next steps. For now he could be dehydrated. Soak him in warm water.

Lawrence287

United kingdom
The app doesn't seem to let me post pictures, and the temp at the cool end is 19°c and the warm are is about 28°c

Lawrence287

United kingdom
The humidity is around 35% and I am feeding them kale, dandelion leaves, radicchio and green batavia? And I have soaked him .

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
That is not a Hermann, that is a Russian. Care is very similar between the two though. Here is a care sheet for Russians:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

One question: are you using a UVB bulb that is in the shape of a spiral or several parallel loops?

Also, his enclosure needs to be warmer. It should be about 25C on the cool end, and 30C on the warm end. he also needs a basking spot of 33C.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a very sick little baby Russian (Horsefield's) tortoise. He needs to be warmed up immediately, and given a nice warm soak for about 15 minutes. 19C is a bit too cool. I'm also interested in the answer to Taylor's question. Those spiral shaped bulbs have been known to cause eye problems in young tortoises.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Lawrence287 .

Your tort is beginning to pyramid. Please give him daily soaks in warm water and make sure that his enclosure is humid enough.

Any pics of his enclosure?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Lawrence, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
At least it doesn't seem to be a coiled bulb, not sure what it is though. Some sort of MVB? Does it provide UVB? Or just light and heat.
Please ensure you follow the information in the care sheet linked above, keep him nice and warm and soak him often.
Have a read of https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/, too.

Lawrence287

United kingdom
Hello, Lawrence, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
At least it doesn't seem to be a coiled bulb, not sure what it is though. Some sort of MVB? Does it provide UVB? Or just light and heat.
Please ensure you follow the information in the care sheet linked above, keep him nice and warm and soak him often.
Have a read of https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/, too.
Hello,
Thank you, the person that gave the lamp to me said that it was a uvb light bulb.
Lawrence

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello,
Thank you, the person that gave the lamp to me said that it was a uvb light bulb.
Lawrence
I don't recognize it as one, you need to make absolutely sure it is and that it's putting out the right levels, or get a strip UVB and basking bulb or an all in one MVB (mercury vapour bulb). This is essential.