New Tortoise Owner from Chandler

JudyR

Location (City and/or State)
Chandler AZ
I’ve been lurking around the forum all summer and I finally need some help. This is Shelby, he was found in our front yard the beginning of May. We tried finding his owners to no avail and so now he is a member of our family!

I have gotten lots of good information from this forum but I have a few questions specific to Shelby that I’m not comfortable answering from previous forum answers and I’d hate to hurt him.

Right now, Shelby is almost 3 pounds. His plastron (bottom shell, right?) measures 9” x 4 1/2”. We just started weighing him 2 weeks ago but we think he is growing. Here are some pictures from May and last week.

My 2 questions; humidity/hydration and his winter home.

1. Phoenix has been very dry this summer, it’s has only rained twice in our area. I worry that his pyramiding will get worse. This is what we’ve done all summer. Hose down/mist his yard 2 or 3 times a day, we soak him at least 30 min every other day (and every day when the temp is over 105). On the days it’s been over 110, we bring him into the garage all afternoon until the temp drops under 110. And finally, I wet his evening meal, and the grass lawn and make sure he eats a few slices of cucumber with every evening meal to make sure he gets enough fluids. Is there more we should be doing? Will this stop any further pyramiding?

2. Winter home. I downloaded Tom’s night box instructions and convinced my husband we would build Shelby’s winter home this weekend but everything I’ve read and pictures I’ve seen on this forum seem to be for sullies that are so much larger. Is he too small to spend the winter outside? Will he be ok if we built him the night box with all the accessories?

His outside enclosure is pretty big and he has a few ‘houses’ he uses throughout the day and night. I think he would hate being in a small box inside the house all winter. This past week it has finally started cooling off at night so we know we have to do something ASAP.

First Day.JPG This was in May

sept 10 19 1.JPG This is last week

And some random shots
sept 10 19 3.JPG sept 10 19 6.JPG IMG_0402.JPG IMG_0392.JPG

Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

You've got the wrong idea about the night box. It's not for him to live in all winter, it's a place for him to go at night. He'd still be able to come out during the day, but you lock him in the box at night so he stays warm on cold nights. You may have to search him out for a few nights and place him in the night house, but eventually he'll get the idea and start going in on his own.

Get a really large plant saucer, or a garbage can lid that holds water and dig it down into the ground in an area of the yard that has a bit of shade. Keep it filled with water so he can climb in and soak or just stop by for a drink whenever he feels the need.

JudyR

Chandler AZ
He has a plant saucer with water in his area and at the beginning of summer I saw him sitting in it a few times but once the temperature got extremely hot he seemed to ignore it and that's when a little crazy trying to ensure he was hydrated. I'd soak the dog daily if he would let me, instead he also eats cucumbers.

Thank you! We will start working on Shelby's night box this weekend!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Next summer, he can stay outside all day, but help him start a burrow for summer. This will help him escape the intense summer heat and be really good for him.

He's big enough to be outside full time now. I move mine out when they are 8-10 inches.