New tortoise owner, help please, red swollen sores

Location (City and/or State)
cleveland ohio
What test did the vet do to support their advise of "he's in really bad shape"...I mean, "realities problems" what does that mean???? You say "were right about the sores being an infection" what did the vet do to confirm this, test wise....? Weight and "stage of the infection" what was done to determine the stage of the infection and/or type and/or cause? What type of tests? Not just guesses?

Also “realities problems” was a typo. I meant respiratory problems.

cleveland ohio
Did you offer these items to see if they sparked appetite?

I still have yet to see him eat with my own eyes but I put a few bits of chopped strawberries and mustard greens next to him and the a few pieces of strawberry were gone. I’m not sure if he moved them around and buried them under the substrate but I do not see those specific ones anymore. He’s only defecated once in the two weeks that we’ve had him though.

cleveland ohio
Hey guys so I’m giving him his carrot soak and still lifting his head quite high which I’m ignoring right now as suggested. I’m keeping a distance where I do not interact but can still see what’s going on. I did the saline flush through both nostrils. He definitely didn’t enjoy that but it definitely cleared some blockage in his right nostril.

cleveland ohio
Hey guys so I’m giving him his carrot soak and still lifting his head quite high which I’m ignoring right now as suggested. I’m keeping a distance where I do not interact but can still see what’s going on. I did the saline flush through both nostrils. He definitely didn’t enjoy that but it definitely cleared some blockage in his right nostril.

He’s also sort of shaking this morning. Not like a constant shake, more like an occasional twitch of the head. It’s a very noticeable twitch though.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
To be honest I guess she didn’t do any formal tests. She weighed him and told me he was extremely underweight and assumed he had still not been eating even while at the store. After she looked at his neck and swollen eyes with clear discharge coming from them she told me it was an infection. She left the room and came back with antibiotics that I administer once a day via needle to the top of the front legs near his neck. I trusted her opinion well because she’s a vet and other friends with reptiles told me she was good.
i am near cleveland , could i ask the name of the vet your seeing ? your tortoise does look better ........

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
He’s also sort of shaking this morning. Not like a constant shake, more like an occasional twitch of the head. It’s a very noticeable twitch though.

Any way you could post a little video clip of that? You may need to upload one to youtube (or something similar) to then post it here. I’ve been trying to get mine (of my tort making verydistinct clicking sounds) and struggling with the technicalities, hopefully you are more hich tech savvy[emoji6]

cleveland ohio
Any way you could post a little video clip of that? You may need to upload one to youtube (or something similar) to then post it here. I’ve been trying to get mine (of my tort making verydistinct clicking sounds) and struggling with the technicalities, hopefully you are more hich tech savvy[emoji6]

Yeah i noticed we can’t upload videos here because I actually took a few videos of him doing these things to show everyone. I might take the YouTube route.

cleveland ohio
IMG_1529114129.635135.jpg

We just got the MVB in the mail along with a water dish that he can fit in and easily get in and out of (not pictured). His new cave was supposed to come as well but didn’t show. Anyway I also got an infrared thermometer. What kind of temps should I be aiming for and in which areas of he enclosure. Right now I have the MVB set up in the corner and pointed downwards to keep that area warm. Then the other side the MVB is not pointed at it and I have his homemade cave for a cooler area. But again what kind of temperatures should I be aiming for now that I have my thermometer.

Pearly

5 Year Member
View attachment 242061

We just got the MVB in the mail along with a water dish that he can fit in and easily get in and out of (not pictured). His new cave was supposed to come as well but didn’t show. Anyway I also got an infrared thermometer. What kind of temps should I be aiming for and in which areas of he enclosure. Right now I have the MVB set up in the corner and pointed downwards to keep that area warm. Then the other side the MVB is not pointed at it and I have his homemade cave for a cooler area. But again what kind of temperatures should I be aiming for now that I have my thermometer.

Never below 80 (day/night) until after he gets over the illness. And nice and humid. Also if your tank is open on top all the heat/humidity escape into the room air. See if you can find some way to cover the top. With that being sad, those mvb’s are very strong so keep a very close eye on those temps so that he doesn’t cook in there. Also with my gun thermometer i often check my torts’ carapace temp to make sure he doesn’t overheat

cleveland ohio
Never below 80 (day/night) until after he gets over the illness. And nice and humid. Also if your tank is open on top all the heat/humidity escape into the room air. See if you can find some way to cover the top. With that being sad, those mvb’s are very strong so keep a very close eye on those temps so that he doesn’t cook in there. Also with my gun thermometer i often check my torts’ carapace temp to make sure he doesn’t overheat

Awesome! Because of the open top I also thought it might escape but we spray his tank once over a few times a day to keep the humidity up. With the gun I measured different areas. Right under the light it’s about 85, in the middle of the tank it’s about 80, in the far end is a solid 75 (all Fahrenheit by the way). I actually put the gun up to his carapace and it ready about 81 more or less

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
P.s. It drives me insane when pet stores give „14 day return policy” on their live animals. Like they are... merchandise! Disposable piece of garbage!!! No wonder the growing young generations have such difficult time with the commitment.
Wise words indeed! Thank you, Pearly.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Awesome! Because of the open top I also thought it might escape but we spray his tank once over a few times a day to keep the humidity up. With the gun I measured different areas. Right under the light it’s about 85, in the middle of the tank it’s about 80, in the far end is a solid 75 (all Fahrenheit by the way). I actually put the gun up to his carapace and it ready about 81 more or less

My torts don’t bask so I’m not sure but it seems i heard people say that basking temp should be much higher then 85f. With sick tort you could keep the whole thing at 85 until he gets over the illness. You really need to help them get their metabolism up so their immune system can start working. At 75F everything is „asleep”. Btw 81 carapace is great beginning. Cover that tank. Do the lamps sit on something on top of the tank or are they hanging?